British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Welfare harness advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Obedience and agility
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Welfare harness advice Reply with quote

Hi All. We got ourselves the dalmatian welfare side by harness but it is really rubbing our boy under his arms. We have only used it twice but have to stop because of the red friction burns!! I know he has to learn to stop pulling but was wondering if anyone had any advice please?

Many thanks

Carol
Maggi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have got the foam protectors on it? My boy can pull like mad, but it has never rubbed
caz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has neoprene sleeves on it which I assume help stop rubbing. To be honest, I don't think he has got the message that he is not supposed to pull with it on yet. Maybe I'll wait until his friction rash has gone and then just take him out for 5 minutes at time and build it up slowly. Must admit, he was so better walking with the harness, he was still pulling a bit but not half as much.
Maggi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised it has rubbed as Caper's never has even when wet. Are you taking him to training. Walking to heel can be achieved but you do need patience. I used one walk a day when whenever he pulled I turned round. In first few days I only went about 20 yards in half an hour. Best to do it somewhere quiet or the neighbours will think you are mad!!

Last edited by Maggi on Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Anne Gurnsey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I know this sounds odd but are you sure you have put it on properly. At the Welfare Fun Day a couple of people hadn't got it quite right so if you post a picture we can look at it. I am with Maggi in that mostly people say it is the only one that hasn't rubbed
caz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, will post a pic of him in his harness to see if its right but looked at pictures posted here beforehand and we think we had it right. I think maybe we did to long a walk for the first try - will wait a bit and try again with short walks. We have been trying the stop and change direction but it is a challenge at the moment. He's a very excited 2 year old entire boy and I think he has the ladies on his mind. Have just booked him in to be castrated and am looking into finding a good training class in north Liverpool to take him to. The neighbors think we are mad anyway so walking up and down shouldn't be a problem!!
Spotalot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also maybe is it possible you have the toggle part either too tight or too loose?
Too tight and it could be pinching, too loose and it may be slipping. When the lead goes slack.
caz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Spotalot, I just looked at your pictures of your dog modelling the harness on a post a while back and think maybe we have had it too loose as looking at your picture the straps seem to fit quite snug - I did have the straps quite snug but thought they may have been too tight so slackened it off.
I'll post a pic tomorrow when i put it on him tomorrow, seems cruel to do it now when he's fast asleep after his walkies - he'll be ready to go again if he sees his lead!!! Thanks again everyone -I really want this harness to work.x
caz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, being a bit daft here, how do I post photos?
Ann99

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - you can't post photos directly in your posts... You have to post the photo to one of the photo sharing websites, like Flickr or Photobucket and then add the link to the photo in your post on here.

I use Flickr, and all you have to do is go to the photo in Flickr, click on the icon at the bottom of the page that looks like a box with an arrow pointing out of it (3rd icon from right at bottom of screen).
Click on the "Grab the HTML/BBCode" link and then copy all of the code in the box. Then just paste it in to your post.

I don't know how to use Photobucket, but I expect it's similar! Smile
caz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All. let's see if this works!!!

if it does this first photo was with the toggle fitted snug which i thought was a little tight

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b517/Carol_Beesley/toggletight_zpse7f9f677.jpg?t=1405108169

so i loosened it so it looked more comfortable for him - i did notice that it was quite loose though but though this was maybe how it worked as it pulls the sides up when he pulls

http://rs1289.pbsrc.com/albums/b517/Carol_Beesley/toggleloose_zpsc9f833fe.jpg~c100

Hope these pics upload

Thanks again

Carol
caz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just realised that the second picture was really small so here it is again

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b517/Carol_Beesley/toggleloose_zpsc9f833fe.jpg?t=1405108181

thanks
Ann99

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Flekk has his harness on, it looks more like the second photo than the first. Definitely looser than in the first pic.

It's never rubbed him and although, usually, he doesn't have it on for much more than 20 minutes at a time (just to and from the fields) he has had it on for a few hours when we've been camping. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Obedience and agility All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: