British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you train out dislike for other breeds?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nkosi-Kibibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Can you train out dislike for other breeds? Reply with quote

I am at my wits end with Kosi's dislike of Huskies and was wondering if I can train him to ignore them at the very least when he sees one or if it is something I am going to have to learn to deal with as us as people dont like everyone we meet?

When we are out and come across other dogs which are new to him he is called back and put on his lead. I will then walk him towards the other dog, if he starts to get uppity when we approach I will make him sit while they pass and then reward if he does this calmly. If he appears to be calm I will continue walking past the the other dog and reward if he stays calm.

He can be aggressive towards other dogs which are entire so this is one reason I put him back on the lead when we see new dogs as I dont know what sex they are.

All of the above goes out of the window if there is a Husky anywhere on his walk. He will not recall and he will totally ignore me (I have now learnt to identify a Husky on the horizon). The night before last as we approached the field there was a lady walking a Husky out so I gave them extra space and made him sit but he went absolutely nuts, growling barking and up on his back legs. I apologised to the lady and explained he just doesnt like Huskies or Husky looking dogs like Malamutes she was really understanding and we continued. Tonight he was off lead at another field and a Husky appeared out of nowhere, no recall, he totally blanked me and the inevitable happened, luckily my partner was with me and was able to separate the two of them. The owner was not pleased and was extremely aggressive toward me which only fuelled Kosi even more, I think he was being protective of me. I can understand her being upset but thats a side issue.

Sorry this has been a bit of a ramble to get to the question of ..... Is it viable to be able to train this out of him or at least a tolerance of them into him? If so how as I am running out of ideas?

He has never had a bad experience with a Husky this dislike just seems to be in him. Sad He plays lovely with other dogs, admittedly I will only let him play with dogs that he is first introduced to on his lead and providing he is ok with them he is let off to play, he will come back when asked and although the rough and tumble can get very rough there is no aggression there. If we meet dogs he has played with before and I know he is ok I dont put him back on the lead and he will do the woowooo as a greeting and lies down waiting for them to come over looking at me as if asking can I go play. I just cant understand this Jekyll and Hyde character that appears when Huskies are about.
Nkosi-Kibibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone help at all? Suggestions would be an advance on what I do now?
Maggi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience they can get real fixations about certain breeds but you can work towards them ignoring them (probably never going to like). If you actually know anyone with a husky it could be helpful to walk together, on leads, and encourage your dog to ignore the other one - you don't need to get to close together to start. Rewarding him for good behaviour is more useful than punishing him for bad. Do you take him to training? A word with your trainer may also help.
Nkosi-Kibibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Maggi, I never punish him as I dont feel its productive I only ignore him no eye contact and no talking to him while I remove him from a situation where he isnt behaving. When this kicked off with the fighting I put him on his lead and walked him away from the dog in the opposite direction.

I think I am going to have have a word with some local dog walkers to see if they know of any Huskies and see if any would be willing to walk with him as sounds like a better plan than just dealing with a situation as it arises. Meeting Huskies whilst we are out is quite sporadic so he isnt seeing them on a regular basis so we arent getting anywhere with him building up a tolerance.

Training is on the agenda in March as we are on holiday between now and then and I wanted to take him where I dont do a couple of weeks then it stops for three weeks.

Thanks again, I hate to see him like he is with Huskies as I know that isnt his real personality coming through, its like he has a complete possession which isnt the best way to enjoy the outside time together Very Happy
Spotalot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a plan Very Happy
Try to work on it as best you can.
Unfortunately some dogs do take a dislike to some particular breeds, its strange but then I suppose we don't like everyone we meet.
It may just be something he will grow out of.
It sounds to me as if you are handling it well.
Try not to get anxious yourself if you see a husky out as he will pick up on your tension.
Gavin_and_Elaine

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prior to moving to West Midlands from Cambridgeshire, we had assumed Ballach would get on with all dogs, he had a big group of friends for walks etc.
Then we moved here and discovered Staffies, within 2 weeks of being here, he had been set on by 2 off the lead dogs.

Being young, he seems to remember this, so he was getting a bit bark and growl first with them.

So we let him slowly get friendly within one living near us, and he now runs about playing with at least 2 of them.

Of course all this is pointless, when you have what happened this morning, with a bloke, with a staffie off the lead and shouting at us, to watch out for our dog as his dog runs at Ballach and attacks him.

Obviously this bloke knows his dog does this, so why is he off lead and not muzzled? Luckily Ballach was not bitten, close but was lucky.
How to spoil a lovely winterís walk!!

Anyhow, my advice with dogs not liking others is too slowly get them used to each other, however, I do think so dogs just do not get on.
Anne Gurnsey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But don't let it go either. You can report people whose dogs are out of control. I know you may think that it is a pain ansd hassle but if enough people do it then that particular chap will have to keep his dog on a lead.

One of our Welfare Owners was taken to court in just this sort of situation in thatt the owner of the aggressive dog reported the dalmatian owner. We fought the case and won but had to get testimonies from various people etc. It turned out that the other dog was a regular problem but no -one had reported it
jabbadal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is more common than you think for dogs to take a certain dislike to certain breeds.
This is also common for a dislike to husky/malamute or spitz type.

If a dog hasn't met a wide variety of doggy shapes and sizes whilst young, a dog may find them alarming and this is entirely to do with their coat and shape.

A dog may have learnt that meeting a dog who raises his coat (hackles) and uses up pointy forward ears, is basically speaking some very rude words with it's body language. Husky types are just made this way!!
If a dog hasn't been introduced to these types early on, he will not have had any positive associations with them and basically thinks they are being 'rude'!

This can also happen for dogs meeting breeds/dogs with a short squashy muzzles as well.

The ideal would be to ask someone with a husky type of dog to work with you and at first, you may just walk them on leads together without being close enough to touch, until your Dalmatian starts to relax about being in their prescence and then interactions would gradually increase from there until your Dalmatian is totally happy.
This would then ideally be repeated with another similar type dog, so your dog realises the same rules apply to more than one dog.

Most dog owners would actually be happy to be approached and asked this type of thing, it is preferable to dreading your dog coming round the corner!!

Often, when an owner says, my dog doesn't like this type or that type, it is actually the owner having a bad experience with one of these dogs and then tensing up and getting anxious the next time. But as your dog has not had a bad experience yet, then I would suggest it is very likely to be the old 'body language problem'.

Introduce and entertain your dog with some positive associations, such as playing with you, training with you, in the presence of the dog until you are able to get much closer.

Yes, they can be taught that a very different reaction and behaviour is required when meeting this type of dog, but it will take time, to 'undo' the old behaviour and responses.

http://www.zyworld.com/jabbawockdalmatians
Nkosi-Kibibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for some great advice Jabbadal, I think you are right in saying that I may be adding to the problem now particularly when he is on the lead as after several incidents with Huskies I know I get apprehensive when I see one coming.

I have found someone who has a Husky who is willing to work with me but as we are going away in a couple of weeks I have decided not to start anything until we get back. I want to be able to continue with this once I start him associating with Huskies. I have decided to walk the opposite way if I see one coming for the time being so not to add to the problem with my own feelings escalating him.

He met a Siberian Husky at puppy training classes who he used to play with but apart from her the only other Huskies have been the ones he has picked arguments with. Think it is just going to take time and some hard work
clairiscrazy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya
Im having a few of the same problems with my dally (but hers is any dog) but things are improving
It is a confidence issue with myself so heidi picks up on this and of course reacts which makes me worse lol
So for a few weeks she has been on lead and if she walks calmly past another dog she is treated its working well so far she has been aloud back off lead and encountered 3 dogs and was lovely and ignore them if they tried to sniff her then thats a tad to far so i have to watch her there lol
Also walking with another person and there dog really does help Smile

When you get back from your hols i wouldnt walk next to the husky straight away it may be to much for your dog take baby steps start with across the road from each other so there is space and once your dog is calm then take it closer till you end up walking with eachother Smile
Nkosi-Kibibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Clair, when this started I began to think I was the only one with a dysfunctional dal Very Happy (dont mean yours is either) I know they are hard work and its part of the charm for me as they keep you on your toes. Its when I see the other dals over the field that will play with all and sundry and we have to walk round the edge just in case there is an entire male as he doesnt like them particularly that I begin to feel like I have failed him.

The Husky problem just took it to another level and have to say I could sit and cry as he really isnt a nasty boy and I was/am at my wits end with it. I have now contacted a behaviourist as well as I want to do everything I can to make sure he is a pleasure to be around and not a danger to other dogs. Since having him we have been to classes and are out every day for at least an hour and a half. He has met lots of different breeds and he plays lovely with a few select dogs that have been introduced calmly to him so I know he can do it, I just have a grumpy old man way way before his time Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: