British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

looking for a stud...help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> South West & Channel Islands
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sue humphries

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: looking for a stud...help Reply with quote

Hi, my lovely girl lou lou is 18mths now and the next season she has (5 mths time??)we would like to find a stud.
I've never done this before-i'm sure it's going to be hard work!
any guidence will be appreciated.
where do I start?
sue
Dalregis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: finding a stud Reply with quote

I would suggest going back to the breeder for advice. Failing that, the District Rep for your area might be able to help. Dig out Lou lou's pedigree- it will be essential for the owner of a stud dog to study it to ensure that the parents aren't too closely related.
It is important that both the bitch and stud dog have been BAER tested. Finally, aproach the owner of the potential stud dog well in advance to ensure that he will be available when the time comes, and also for them to meet Lou lou.
Pat
Maggi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Pat - chat to the breeder. Are you a club member? If so perhaps the district rep could also help you. If you don't already have it, buy yourself The Book of the Bitch to read and get breeding information. Remember you will be housebound for around 4 months (4 weeks before to 12 weeks after the whelpin) so ensure that this season fits in with that in relation to holidays, family events etc. It may be easier to have puppies in the Spring (if you ever have to live with 12 puppies cooped in the house all day you know why!) so the following season might be better. Lots to think about.
bryedal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Stud Reply with quote

Could I also add, Loulou is still quite young herself being only 18 months old. She has still got some growing and maturing to do Surprised
As Maggie says waiting for her NEXT season would be better for her and will give you more time to suss out your costs and how much work it will be for you.
You'll be surprised how much you have to pay up front before you have any sales. Someone told me to make sure I had 1000 saved up before I had a litter and you will probably need that much in hand to pay for extra food, bedding, washing powder, Stud fee, Vet checks, heating, time off work etc Shocked
Also in case your bitch has any problems whelping so more Vet bills to pay. Most insurance companies won't pay out for anything to do with Breeding.
Are you planning to keep one yourself and have you got any reliable and responsible homes lined up for the puppies you don't keep Question
Liz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> South West & Channel Islands All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: