British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Snip or Not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacksondal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: The Snip or Not? Reply with quote

Jackson has hit the grand age of 16 months now, starting to getting a little bit grumpy when his food is down and sometimes with other new dogs he meets, would he benefit from being snipped now.

Or is it to late to help on the above?
Maggi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not grumpy for his food because he hasn't been castrated. You need to retrain him around food - is he grumpy with you or another dog? I personally think dogs should be fed separately as they shouldn't have to compete for food. If it is around you then put his food in one bowl, take another bowl and add alittle bit at a time the bowl he is eating from - reassuring him you are not taking away his food, but you have right to touch it. Make him sit and wait before you put his food down and praise him a lot when he is good.

Castration may (note may not will) help with dog to dog aggresion but is not much help in curing other behaviours except excessive sexual behaviour and marking i.e. peeing up furniture etc.

It's NEVER too late to train a dog. At 16 months he is full of testosterone and is a bolshie teenager - so you need to treat him like one. Set boundaries, forgive some mistakes and keep training.

If you want to have him castrated by all means do so (it does prevent pushing off after attractive ladies when out) but do not expect it to be a miracle cure for anything.
Nkosi-Kibibi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been having the same debate ourselves, Kosi is now 2 and his dog to (entire) dog aggression has been causing some issues of late.

I have swapped him to a raw diet and have been spending a lot of time out with hoping to meet male dogs to see if anything has made a difference.

I have a walker (now more of a friend) who takes him out once a week as she has two dal girls, anyway long story short last week he had her over twice lunging at male dogs, a week into the raw and lots of verbal beatings from me she walked him by an old Husky (his nemisis) and interact calmly with a male and female hound later in the walk so we are going to see how we go as there has definitely been a change in his behaviour. I dont for one minute think we are out of the woods as he is a large boy with an even larger ego but happy to continue trying for a while before we seriously consider taking his credentials Very Happy
Sammie88

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always try the implant, its last for 6-12 months and lowers the testosterone, its basically a contraceptive. We had one for Dill to make sure we didnt have any accidents in the puppy department however its also quite a good way of seeing if there would be any changes if they are castrated.

Dill gets grumpy with his food and has always been like that, the implant didnt change it so I definitely agree with Maggie that its retraining that would be the better option. we've only noticed very subtle differences with the implant behaviour wise as he never marked or humped. But might be worth talking to your vet if you dont want to castrate. Its nice that there are now other options Smile
Tim Lockett

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis came to us at about three, he was grumpy nay stroppy about his food, I was firm but fair with him, if he grumbled, I would take the food away. I would also take pieces from the bowl as he ate and gave him separately to show him though I was there I was not there to steal his feed. It didn't take him long to learn any human is allowed to take his food away from him. All three of ours eat in a relatively small space, the first finished waits patiently for others to finish then they all do musical bowls cleaning each others bowls, until there is barely a pattern on them.
jacksondal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Jac's has had the snip and i will say already he is a very different dog, calmed down by 100%, great with other dogs and no longer grumpy with his food.

The wife keeps saying to me that i should take this dally home and get Jac's back Laughing
Maggi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it has worked for you - don't forget to cut down the treats so he doesn't put on weight. And be careful of around wife - don't act grumpy or you may be next Laughing Laughing
jacksondal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know keep my legs firmly crossed these days, and Jacs has had his treats cut back and is now going to start training classes again
KissCass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooo! bet you're on your best behaviour now! Surely time we had some pictures of the new Jackson?
jacksondal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will get a few pics together over the couple of days
LaRen616

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spaying/neutering doesn't fix these type of behaviors, this is a training issue IMO.

Sinister Black ~ "The Prince of Darkness" 5.5 year old black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ "Dakota's Unbreakable Vow" 16 month old male Dalmatian 6.30.13

Cats: Chaos, Mayhem, Monster, Wicked
jacksondal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LenRen, Jackson is already trained too Bronze Kennel Club Good Citizenship and is ready to take his Silver, so he is not at a bad level already IMO.

I could be wrong though

Darren
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: