British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spots 'n' cats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drawboy69

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Spots 'n' cats Reply with quote

What is your spot like with cats? Our Flo detests them and is making it her lifetime ambition to catch and probably eat one!
A couple of occasions when she has been off lead she has spied one from distance on the field and then she is off in hot pursuit Greyhound style. Nothing will stop her. I just laugh and wait for her to come back which she does.....looking ever so disappointed.
Jeangenie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one who I know that, given the chance, he would kill a cat. Luckily at 14 he's now much less of a threat than he was in his young fit days when he could outrun and kill a rabbit.

None of my others have thankfully had such a high prey drive, and my current other dal was extremely well-behaved at a friend's house when their cat (used to dogs) ambled across the garden towards us. Daisy was slightly unnerved by it and sensibly kept her distance, showing no desire to chase. Smile
Maggi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't currently have a cat, but Caper is very ncie with them when we go visiting. I could not have said the same for Kiri who would have chased and eaten anything small and furry - she decimated the bunny population of our old French village.

Most of my dalis have been fine with cats - they've nearly all lived wth them and one of our cats used to always sleep in the dogs beds with them. Howeversome dogs have very strong hunting instinct and if you have one of those cats are probably a no go area.

We have birds - a cockatiel and a budgie - and our dogs take absolutely no notice of them even though they are at doggy noce height. I have howver had to rescue them from the odd visiting dog as I tend to forget that not all dogs are 'bird proof'.
Nkosi-Kibibi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kosi came from a home that had a cat and was fine with them until he met our resident one who was not at all welcoming to him. Kosi tried to make friends but she was hateful to him, lunging from under the table, growling at him if he got within 3 foot of her and the final straw was the scratch to his nose. Now he will chase her at every opportunity and as she is getting on in years my heart is in my mouth in case he catches her.

Kibby is a total hunter of anything small and furry so she was never going to be cat friendly Sad
Evejames

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lilly loves cats. She will chase if the run but she definitley sees them a spart of the family, not dinner Smile
www.tippledal.moonfruit.com
jacksondal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackson and Oso the cat have never really seen eye to eye, but since the snip Jackson has been great towards the cat

spottydogs3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got two kittens last year and introduced them very carefully to the dogs over a couple of weeks. They all get on fine now in fact Sophie sits and washes 'her' cat and the cat licks her ears. However when we are out Sophie plays 'hunt the cat' and tries to drag me through bushes to chase the cats.

Heather
Louis & Sophie
Tim Lockett

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is how you nurture them, rather than allowing what is their nature to chase.

LaRen616

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Draco chases the cats but he is getting better, he knows "No" and I've allowed him to sniff the cats when I hold them but once he starts getting rough I tell him no and push him back a little bit.

Sinister Black ~ "The Prince of Darkness" 5.5 year old black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ "Dakota's Unbreakable Vow" 16 month old male Dalmatian 6.30.13

Cats: Chaos, Mayhem, Monster, Wicked
Homeless

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucy does not really like our cat.
But having Three dogs they do all get on.
disconumber2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 cats but Poella seems ok with them. She was abit scared of them to start with and would come running behind my legs if one entered the room, thenshe got a bit brave and approached Oreo a bit too quickly for his liking so he hissed at her and she has been a bit more cautious approaching now. Oreo will tolerate a lick to the face but our older cat has no patience for the pup, she will however sit on the kitchen counter and pretend to ignore Poella barking at her.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: