British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Derby test centre
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> BAER Hearing Test Centres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalvadene spotties

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its is about 45 at Derby centre, I would advise having your puppy BAER tested before you have it as the breeder should be testing the whole litter with deafness being a problem within our beautiful breed.
MarkS

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think because shes only charging 395 each for the pups shes leaving the BAER to the buyers to pay, which is fine as i dont mind paying the extra to know for sure.
Jeangenie

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A vet test isn't reliable; a deaf puppy can respond to the vibration of the air when hands are clapped without hearing the sound. Only sounds made in another room to the puppy would be an indication of hearing ability, but would still be unreliable because of the possibility of the pup looking around at that time anyway.

It sounds as though the breeder's relying on the buyers being too attached to their new puppy to cause her any trouble if it turns out to be deaf. Sad
MarkS

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well just been offered my deposit back for annoying her by asking too many questions Confused , really contemplating taking it back but the kids (and me) have their hearts set on getting him. any other litters about within reasonable distance of chesterfield?
Jeangenie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkS wrote:
well just been offered my deposit back for annoying her by asking too many questions Confused , really contemplating taking it back but the kids (and me) have their hearts set on getting him. any other litters about within reasonable distance of chesterfield?

I think you've been offered a good escape route from a bad situation, and would take my deposit back in haste! An un-BAERed blue-eyed puppy? No way.

There don't seem to be any litters on the puppy list at the moment (click on 'Ownership' at the top of the page, then find the link for the Puppy List) but that can change very quickly. I know of an upcoming litter in the Livrpool area if that's not too far?
Anne Gurnsey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while back someone else on the forum was in the same dilemma, had set their heart on a particular puppy but then on seeing him a few times suspected he was deaf. I don't remember now whether they insisted he was tested or whether they just trusted their gut instinct but I know they bought another puppy from the same litter.

Good breeders don't think you are asking annoying questions but are glad that you are doing your homework and being conscientious. They will also ask you LOTS questions before they sell you a puppy. It must be so sad and frustrating for you and your children but I too think it is a big risk and would take back my deposit. However I do understand how disappointed your children will be.

Can you not travel a bit further afield to look for a puppy? I am not suggesting you should be as mad as me and go from Buckinghamshire to North of the Humber
Anne Gurnsey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just seen there is a litter due this week in Coalville which is less than an hours drive form Colaville, why not talk to Amy their breeder. They will be hearing tested.
MarkS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replys, me and my partner had a talk lastnight and have decided to take the deposit back althought the breeder's now saying it's non refundable as we changed our mind not her so looks like we've lost the 50 aswel.

i have emailed a breeder on here and will take a look at the other's. i don't mind travelling for the right dog
Anne Gurnsey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done and very brave of you. However 50 is 50 and you haven't changed your mind have you. All you are asking is that the puppy is "fit for Purpose" which means you want to be sure it can hear. I would still pursue it. Reputable breeders may take a deposit subject to the puppy having full hearing. You could always threaten her with Trading Standards..

I think somewhere else you asked about meeting an owner and their dog/s. Maggi who usually write a a lot on this forum lives not that far away and would I am sure be glad to meet you with her dog Caper. However she is away at the moment due to family illness but you could send her a private message for her return
gillieworm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just t jump on this subject, just noticed someone has mentioned Amy in Coalville. I have a puppy from Amy and she is a dream. Best behaved Dal I have ever met and all health tested. Temperament is second to none!!
amy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol.. Thanks Gill!
Obviously has something to do with the marvelous training you have put in to her!
She definately takes after her dad!
Alphadal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad you have been responsible enough to question the test this breeder is calling "hearing test" if its not BAER its not reliable, trust me, I have a deaf boy (BAER tested) who responds to my other dogs barking, clapping of hands in an enclosed space etc as he feels the vibration which I liken to the feeling I get in my chest when I hear drums being played live.

Hope you get your puppy soon. The right one is worth waiting for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> BAER Hearing Test Centres All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: