British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is this just a phase??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stef

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: is this just a phase?? Reply with quote

hey so Milo is now 7 month old and so far as been a good dog but now he seems to have hit the 'teenage stage' when he was younger he used play bite at peoples feet and hands and I managed to get him out of it until he had to spend a night in the vets a few weeks ago he came home and seemed to have gone back 2 months he started the nipping again with everyone including me but the difference is now he's got his adult teeth so they hurt a lot more (he's never broke the skin but he has left me with a few bruises and teeth marks) and the techniques I used when he was younger no longer seem to have an effect (ignoring him, putting him in isolation,telling him no etc) my fiance does pin him down sometimes when he gets too much but I'm not 100 percent sure of this even though Milo does seem to calm down immediately plus I cant pin him as he is just too strong for me to do that, he is a lovely dog and I love him to bits and most of the time he is well behaved but like I said he does it with everyone now he also started jumping at people and trying to pull them down by their clothes he's not like this all the time it just seems to be when people visit mostly or when he gets excited. Another thing that worries me is he has always been amazingly good with kids especially my dads youngest (who is 2) they have always followed each other round and Milo has always been very gentle with him but the other week he got a bit too much and knocked him down and then got hold of his hood on his jumper and started pulling him around (obviously I stopped this immediately and they are never unsupervised and this is the only incident so far) so I'm just wondering are there any other techniques i can try I'm sure he really is pushing the boundaries and just testing to see how far he can push it but he's getting a bit much for other people who visit and i have to lock him in the kitchen until he's calmed down but he just sits there and howls the whole time (which makes conversation difficult) so any tips would be much appreciated am i the only one that has this issue?? thanks :]
Maggi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His behavious is normal but naughty and you need to stop it NOW. A dalmatian who jumps and nips can be dangerous. Pinning him down is not a good idea as he may think it is play wrestling and try to wrestle back. Try not to get upset about it, he is only young and he has to learn good behaviour. If you know you will have visitors then try to exercise him beforehand so that he is not so bouncy

If you are not already taking him to training I suggest you do. That way you can build on your training techniques. Whem people come to the house, put him on a lead. Then ask him to sit and when he does get the visitors to pat him and reward with a tit bit. Don't get angry with him but be in control. If you are sitting and chatting he can sit beside you on his lead. No good behaviour, no reward. If he has a crate you can crate him in the room with visitors. If he doesn't then you need to get him used to being in another room when you are at home. Put him in room with toy or bone, shut the door and go and do something. When he is quiet for 5 minutes release him and praise. Build it up so gradually you can leave him in another room for an hour whilst you are eating?working. Dogs do not need to be with you every minute of eevry day (even if they want to!!) and it is good for them to learn to be alone without being noisy or destructive.

I would not let him play unattended with the small children but perhaps you can get them to help you train him (our friend's 2 year old enjoys a session od dog training with Caper!).

It will get better but at this stage of a dog's life it is often hard work.
Spotalot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good advive from Maggi there .

I am afraid the next year is the worst and most hard work.
If he were human he would probably be sporting a tatoo and an earing and leather jacket at this stage.
As Maggi says hard work and training is the key to success.
This is why a lot of young dogs end up in rescues as some people go to training classes when they are little, they learn the basics and they think ' great dogs all trained now '
When really he's only completed reception class and has years 1 and 2 to complete beforemoving on to the juniors...

Don't panic, he's just pushing the boundaries and you need to be firm, fair and consistant and so does your other half.
Make sure you both use the same commands..ie. off for not jumping up...down is for lie down. I also teach my dogs...gentle....by using small treats and holding them between
finger and thumb....say gentle or gently as you offer it...if he nips or pinches as he will at first remove the treat...say no..firmly and try again.

Make sure he only gets the treat when he is gentle, then heap lots of praise when he gets it right....l have been so pleased I did this as we now have a baby grandaughter who visits and our young Daisy is told gently whenever she goes near her.
I now working on down when people eat near her...in the hope she won't pinch food from her when she is toddling.
Also as Maggi says, as soon as Issy is old enough I will be teaching her how to command Daisy to do as she is told and be treated........a lot easier to say or type than to do.
Anne Gurnsey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But a confident child can easily control a dog. My 13 month old great nephew when he visited from Australia was very comfortable with my dogs and would say "No" in a stern confident voice if they played up and they did as they were told and just adored him.

Mind you he always sensibly climbed on to a stool at the breakfast bar if he wanted to eat a biscuit or shut himself in the dog crate. He has big dogs at home and obviously knew that they could easily snaffle his food.

When I was younger we had a highchair in the kitchen for visiting children. It was really amusing to see all these patient dalmtains sitting there waiting for the debris that usually ended up on the floor. Thye never stole just waited patiently!!
stef

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for your replies I would never get rid of him now so he's definitely here to stay :] I'm hoping to start training classes with him soon, I wanted to start a couple of months ago but my work schedule has been manic so not had chance to properly commit to going every week so don't see point in starting if we're going to go one week then miss 3 weeks I want to be consistent with him. My little brother is very confident around Milo and does tell him to sit etc and Milo does listen it was just the one incident the other week that really worried me but it hasn't happened since, he's good around certain visitors for example my best friend comes round regularly and we started getting him to sit for a treat whenever they visited leaving the treats in the porch and other visitors got told to do the same and now the jumping on certain people is very rare but it seems to be other women he has an issue with he will listen and sit and stay calm around any male visitors for example my best friend, but female visitors for example my mum and my nan he will just not stop until I step in and remove him to the kitchen they are both quite small my mum only being 4 foot 10 and when he jumps up at her he's practically the same height and pins her to the wall will deffo start putting him on a lead when people visit now so I can control him if he's going to pin them against the wall. This last week or so he hasn't been too bad with the nipping either so hopefully he's getting the message that its not acceptable fingers crossed :], as for the pinning him down thing I've never really been happy with it anyway but will deffo get it stopped from now on thankyou again for all your advice Milo is my first dal as well as my first dog of my own (obviously grown up around dogs just never had one that was completely mine) so I've definitely put myself in at the deep end but i will persevere and I'm determined that he will make a good respectful dog in the end! Very Happy
Spotalot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Well done Stef,
With that attitude you will suceed.
They are hard work for the first two years, but if you work at it, they just are the best dogs ever...IMO of course Wink

Please come back and ask questions as things arise...there will always be someone to help and keep us posted .
stef

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotalot wrote:
Very Happy Well done Stef,
With that attitude you will suceed.
They are hard work for the first two years, but if you work at it, they just are the best dogs ever...IMO of course Wink

Please come back and ask questions as things arise...there will always be someone to help and keep us posted .

thankyou really appreciate it Very Happy
jabbadal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little advice to add to the above.

Your Dal is choosing an inappropriate response/behaviour to certain situations. Your job is to stop/interrupt that behaviour, but to also teach him a new response/behaviour when confronted with that situation.

So think about what triggers the unwanted behaviour and then teach him another option to choose.
e.g. dog gets excited with small child playing and starts to nip
Set up the situation, with the dog on a lead (for control) and teach him another choice such as a down, or a sit with a reward like a treat or toy (whatever floats his boat!).

Then bear in mind, that when replacing a behaviour with a new one, the dog will often escalate the unwanted behaviour before finally stopping. (It will get worse before it gets better). Then can also suddenly revert, so signs need to be watched to re-train again if need be.

Some behaviours have become a habit. This means the dog does not conciously choose this option, it has become a reaction. These behaviours take much longer to remove, so stick at it!

Pinning a dog down, can stop the dog, but most trainers do not advise this, particularly for nipping behaviour. It entirely depends why the dog is nipping. If the dog feels in control and bossy, or fearful or stressed or even over excited with a high prey instinct, then pinning the dog down could result in an escalation of behaviour. He will try much harder resulting in a bite.

Although the nipping needs to be stopped/interrupted, you need to question if punishment going to help here, or is the dog just not aware that he has other choices of behaviours at this point.

hoping this advice might help you to understand why, and be able to put a better plan in action and also to have the patience to go through the process!!

Best wishes,

http://www.zyworld.com/jabbawockdalmatians
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: