British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New family members....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evejames

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: New family members.... Reply with quote

Hi all,

I hope this post finds you and your spots well Smile

So, news here is that we have some additions to the family (as of last Sunday). Namely Tobias, Thomas and Alf. They are 3 rescue cats of around 8 months old.

So, Lilly has met cats before in other peoples houses but it seems that cats in her own house are a little different!

They live in the utility room and Lilly lives in the kitchen (when we're not at home. We have had them together in the kitchen and utility and Toby and Thomas are quite confident and are quick to give Lilly a swipe if she gets too close.

All she wants to do is play with them but they don't want to play with her. I don't mind them 'sorting it out' but I don't want one of the cats to scratch Lilly in the eye Sad Do you think Lilly will get bored of them in time? She's a little wary of them anyway and seems more interested in looking for their food.

We have to keep the little rascals in for a couple of weeks, so they get used to where they live etc. and eventually they will just be going in and out of the utility as they please so I don't suppose cats and dog ever have to be best friends.....

So has anyone got any past experiences on introducing cats to a 6 month (nearly...yes I know, time HAS flown!) dally puppy?

Thanks,
Eve
www.tippledal.moonfruit.com
jabbadal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The usual advice with introducing a puppy to cats (or the other way around!) is to restrict the dog but not the cats.
This firstly helps you to have control over any chase/predatory instincts your dog may have. If it isn't allowed to chase, it won't learn this is fun.
If you have cats who do tell the puppy off with a swipe of the paw, this is a bonus for you, the cats are telling your puppy what is appropriate behaviour around them and what is not. A puppy who has recieved a good paw swipe from a cat is likely to be much more cautious next time and will have learnt that the cats need to be respected and are not toys.
It is helpful to have areas that your cats can get to, but your puppy can not (baby gates can be handy here). This gives you areas for feeding and also the cat litter tray, so that your puppy can't get in there to disturb the litter tray and also that the cats feel safe when eating or drinking.
If your puppy shows any signs of chasing, then you may consider attaching a lead to the puppy when the cats are in the same area, this allows you to at least stand on the lead as they go flying by!!
Reward your puppy for times where he shows good and acceptable behaviour around the cats. You will be encouraging him to repeat the good calm behaviour.

Many dogs can live in harmony with cats if introductions are supervised and the dog is shown what are right and wrong behaviours. They can even build up strong bonds with each other.

Have fun!!

http://www.zyworld.com/jabbawockdalmatians
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: