British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Patched or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Breeding & Rearing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donothing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Patched or not? Reply with quote

This is possibly a stupid question but when is a patch not a patch? we have a liver bitch with a dark brown line running across her head where the ear meets the head (it is only the length of the top of the ear, there is no brown on any other part of her head), and a dark brown line covering about a third of her ear - it looks like a dark brown tick or upside down L shape about 4mm wide. I think it is a patch, however I thought a patch on the ear was when the whole of the ear was a solid colour at birth, this ear has just over 50% creamy white. Had the ear been all brown it would definately be a patch but this ear is not?
Ellie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Would need to see a photo, to get a true idea really.

A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
Maggi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send a photo (pm is you like). Some dogs have lots of pigment at birth and it isn't truly a patch. A patch can be half an ear though, and can also be elsewhere on the body not necessarily the head. Small patches are now acceptable in the standard.
Spotalot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Confused
Sandie have I missed some posts??
are the puppies here?
KissCass

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassie has a patch on her ear and beside her eye and I only know because her breeder told me so and we got a reduction! I wouldn't have known any difference (hope you're not reading this Darren). I always understood that they were born with patches. I have to say I am very partial to patches, I think Wyrd's Cooper is lovely.
donothing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Patched or not? Reply with quote

Here you are:

Maggi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandie - yes that is a little patch, but it is tiny and i don't think will show when she is older.

Spotalot - yes the puppies are here but I believe that site admin do not want people announcing their litters on the site as it could be construed as advertising. Whilst this is a shame for us, I suppose I can understand as many of the members are not BDC members and I think it would be impossible for the admin to police it.

I'm sure Sandie won't mind if you pm her for more info.
Ellie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a patch to me also Smile

A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
gillieworm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooohhhh how exciting, we need details Sandi. How is Bailey? How many pups? girls? boys? Please dont keep us in suspense Very Happy
Alphadal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, congratulations on your litter Smile
Secondly, I'm not convinced it is a patch as almost all the puppies i have seen have this type of pigmentation at the corner of their ear. Its really difficult to tell, can't you ask someone who has bred a few litters to come and give you some advice. seeing it in the flesh or maybe not so close up could help.
Paula xxx
jabbadal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion - its definitely a patch.
Dalmatians are born white, if there are any markings on them when born (and dry!), then that's a patch. Patch can come in all shapes and sizes and a patch at just the root of the ear is extremely common, it will grow in size quite quickly.

The only bit of colour (that isn't a patch) you do tend to see on an ear when born, is a line of colour down the 'seam' - outer edge of the ear, where the fur pars in opposite directions, as any underlying pigmentation can be seen.

I've had a variety of different sized patching on puppies, usually this particular patch, is quite charming when the puppy is older and pet owners really like it.

http://www.zyworld.com/jabbawockdalmatians
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Breeding & Rearing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: