British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Urate and Allopurinol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Health Matters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spottysue

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Urate and Allopurinol Reply with quote

Hi
My 9 year old Dalmatian, Storm has had urate bladder stones and is now on U/D diet for the rest of his life. Unfortunately he still has urate crystals in his urine so my vet prescribed Allopurinol. Storm also has mild hip dyasplasia, spondylosis of the spine and unexplained lameness in his left shoulder (possibly due to his front compensating for the problems with his back end), and the only medication that helped was PLT. Both Allopurinol and PLT are irritant to the digestive tract and have caused him problems with vomiting and severe diarrhoea! We have now stopped PLT and he has started having acupuncture for his lameness and back/hip problems. The vet doing the acupuncture has said that she could treat the urate problem with acupuncture as well.Does anyone have experience of this way of treating it and has it been successful? Also is there any medical treatment other than Allopurinol that we could try? He still has some days when his tum is upset, which I am sure is due to the medication.
Nicki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about Storm & cant help with urate problems Sad but Banjo has tendonitus (prob spelt wrong) in his front right shoulder because he has been compensating for his dysplacia & back probs, he sometimes limps & refused to jump down from the car that is why we took him to the vet in the 1st place so was very supprised to find out the real problems.

He is on Synoquin & Metacam & has a bioflow collar, he is also doing hydrotheropy once a week & all this has realy helped Very Happy

Banjoliers PA & Faithful Follower
Chris Pickup

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Uric Acid Problems Reply with quote

Hi
Don't know if this will help but I have a diet formulated by a friend of mine to help with Uric Acid - please email at cproadcoach@btinternet.com and I will forward it to you.
It doesnt quite work in this web format.
ChrisP
spottysue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicki wrote:
Sorry to hear about Storm & cant help with urate problems Sad but Banjo has tendonitus (prob spelt wrong) in his front right shoulder because he has been compensating for his dysplacia & back probs, he sometimes limps & refused to jump down from the car that is why we took him to the vet in the 1st place so was very supprised to find out the real problems.

He is on Synoquin & Metacam & has a bioflow collar, he is also doing hydrotheropy once a week & all this has realy helped Very Happy

Hi Nicki
Do you think the Bioflow collar helps?
Sue
Nicki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sue,

I would say yes if he wears it all night he is defonately not a stiff in the mornings even after hydrotheropy. Our vet also recommended it I think it was about 25 but a good investment the only prob is the collar tends to slip round so you have to check the magnet is in the right place Rolling Eyes

Banjoliers PA & Faithful Follower
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Health Matters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: