Latest News
Back To News

New post re Parvovirus at Stoneleigh 1730 12 Feb 2019

The Kennel Club is saddened to hear of the death of a dog last week from parvovirus.

The dog had attended an obedience class held by Leamington Dog Training Club at the Kennel Club’s building, Stoneleigh on Wednesday 6th February the day before it showed symptoms. It is extremely unlikely that the dog contracted the disease at Stoneleigh due to the incubation period for the virus, which is between 3 and 14 days. However due to the presence of the dog on the premises, the Kennel Club has taken the precaution of closing the building and is currently conducting a deep clean and sanitisation of the premises and will keep the building closed until all precautions have taken place which is typically between five and seven days. The Kennel Club asks for all those that might have been in contact with the infection to keep a close eye on their dogs and if they see any signs of canine parvo-virus, the effects of which include having a high temperature, having less energy, not wanting to eat, vomiting and diarrhoea often with blood, to take their dog to their vet promptly. The best way of protection from the virus is to ensure that your dogs are fully vaccinated and maintained according to your vet’s recommendations. The Kennel Club has been keeping its customers up to date on the situation and will be refunding those clubs that have shows booked while the premises are closed. Exhibitors are reminded of Kennel Club show regulations which state that no dog suffering from any infectious or contagious disease or having been exposed to such disease during the period of 21 days prior to the show or suffering from any visible condition which adversely affects its health or welfare may be exhibited.

Last Updated 12th February 2019