British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello Everybody...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daffydal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Hello Everybody... Reply with quote

Was at crufts yesterday and was pointed in the direction of this forum and DalNET. Up until I got back yesterday I did not realise there was a forum to chat with Dally lovers.

Carole and I have two dogs, Harvey and Phoebe. When we got Harvey we managed to not just do everything against the book, we might as well have thrown the book out of the window.

After discussing getting a dog for over seven years, I eventually talked Carole around to the idea. Unfortunately she wanted a Miniature Poodle but I wanted a Boxer, there was no way I was going to be seen walking a poodle (apologies to any poodle lovers out there). So we continued researching breeds and found a Dalmatian suited both of us, Carole had the eye catching dog she wanted and I had a fun and energetic dog that I wanted. So we trawled through the dreaded Yellow Paper and found an advert for some locally, off we went down to see the dogs and fell in love with this puppy at sight. Not knowing a lot about things like hearing testing and such, we bought him then and there and took him away with us. Luckily Harvey is such a lovely dog and has proved to be a great pet, upon realising the error of our ways we had Harvey castrated when he was just over 1, we also took him to obedience training and we have a dog that we can live with (although I would like him to stop pinching food).

That was it, we were bitten by the spotty bug - the spots do seem to spread like measles.

So this time we were determined to do things the right way and contacted the NoEDC about local breeders with litters due. We were put in touch with Pollypeck and went to see the pups, the puppys were treat with a world of difference to those we saw when we got Harvey. Then the selection process began, I fell in love with Phoebe and after many a trip to see her we were finally told that we could have her. I know that Cilla was worried that we would not fulfill our promise of going into showing and that the little puppy would become a pet. We have definitely been caught up in the whole show scene now and are just pleased to be involved with such a loving and lovely breed. We have already made some good friends at the shows and appreciate all of the help, tips and advice as it is quite a daunting thing to turn up at your first show, not quite knowing what to do, but I guess everybody was in the same boat at some point. I can't thank Cilla enough for introducing me to such a wonderful hobby, before showing I would never have missed a Sunderland match - now it is a regular occurence (us being rubbish has probably softened the blow).

Since having Phoebe, nearly everything in the house has spots on it, if it has got a Dalmatian on it Carole will buy it. The obsession with Dally's went that far that when Carole and I finally tied the knot on the 7th October 2005 there was a Dalmatian theme to the wedding. (I will post a picture up later on).

Thanks for listening...

Stuart, Carole, Harvey and Phoebe
Basinga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: welcome Reply with quote

Hi, welcome to the world of dalmatians................it's nice to know that we are all as mad as each other Very Happy Very Happy
Tafuta Oh So Quiet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with Basinga - you will meet some real fanatics on here (not that I'm one of course Rolling Eyes )

I did things the other way around. I wanted a dalmatian since I was 3! Was totally dotty about them, then I started reading about them properly and fell in love with them more, and before I got mine, everything was covered in spots! I think my parents hoped that allowing me to have a real one, would stem the obsession with poster, pictures, ornaments, socks! lol
It didn't.

So don't worry - we all know how you feel Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: