British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Dalmatian

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pirate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: New Dalmatian Reply with quote

Hi everyone

At last I have another dog. My Border Collie passed away 4 years ago and we would have had another dog sooner, but my mother developed Alzheimer's, which caused all kinds of problems. My mother is in a nursing home now, the kids have left home and the house has been very quiet. Rolling Eyes

After my collie died I had a dream, that I had a male dalmatian (not a puppy) I joked that it was a premonition. Since the summer I have been seriously looking for a dog and had almost decided on an ex-racing greyhound, when I saw an advert for a 4 year old male dalmatian whose owner was going into hospital and couldn't care for him any more. he had been taken to a rescue centre. Well something just 'clicked' with me and I had to go and see him ( even though it would take over an hour)

Well you can guess the outcome -- we've had Max just over 2 weeks now and he is fantastic. It's been nice to avoid the puppy training in a way, although it's difficult not knowing what his routine's have been for the past 4 years. Reading about other Dalmatians is reassuring, in that I'm sure I'll get good advice when needed.

It's good to meet you.

Eira
Tafuta Oh So Quiet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Eira!

Congratulations! Life will never be the same again! Laughing

Did you find Max at the dalmatian welfare? or was it a private thing?

Whereabouts are you based? I have had Takara 2 months now and believe you me - you are so lucky to have missed out the dalmatian puppy training stage! LOL

If you want to chat dalmatians all my info is on my profile and I'm ready to chat about them anytime (been obsessed with them since I was 3!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shandrydan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi Eira and welcome to you and Max. So glad he has found such a good new home!

Barb Clarke
granardal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site, yes if you have any questions, stories or comments about Dalmatians then this is the place!
Congratulations on your new friend. It always surprises me how quickly rescue dogs can settle in a good new home and after a short time they seem to forget their "previous life".
Let's see some pics very soon!

Gill
Pirate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tafuta Oh So Quiet wrote:
Welcome Eira!

Congratulations! Life will never be the same again! Laughing

Did you find Max at the dalmatian welfare? or was it a private thing?

Whereabouts are you based? I have had Takara 2 months now and believe you me - you are so lucky to have missed out the dalmatian puppy training stage! LOL

If you want to chat dalmatians all my info is on my profile and I'm ready to chat about them anytime (been obsessed with them since I was 3!)

Hello there

Thanks for your reply. Yes life will never be the same again. LOL!

Max was advertised on epupz, where they do adverise dogs needing new owners too. He had been taken to a small rescue centre in Worksop. I live in Birmingham.

I have been through the puppy training many times as I have had a doggie friend nearly all my life and I am pleased to have avoided toileting etc. However, I think older dogs can come with other problems that haven't been sorted out in their early years and may be just as difficult. I feel Max has settled well and is generally a good boy, but could do with some lead training and manners when we're eating.

Thanks for offering a 'chat' -- I will certainly be in touch with you soon.

Eira
Pirate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shandrydan wrote:
Very Happy Hi Eira and welcome to you and Max. So glad he has found such a good new home!

Barb Clarke

Thanks for the welcome Barb. I am glad we have been able to give Max a good home -- he deserves it. Very Happy

Eira
Pirate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

granardal wrote:
Welcome to the site, yes if you have any questions, stories or comments about Dalmatians then this is the place!
Congratulations on your new friend. It always surprises me how quickly rescue dogs can settle in a good new home and after a short time they seem to forget their "previous life".
Let's see some pics very soon!

Gill

Thanks Gill

It's good to be here among friends. Yes Max has settled well, once he realised his place in this pack. He did try it on to start, but now I think he's learned he'll get more treats if he is good. I really love him!

I'll send some pics as soon as I find where my camera is hidden. Max has a black patch over one eye -- hence my username. Wink Very Happy

Eira
Where's Wally?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Hi and welcome Reply with quote

Hi Eira

Just wanted to add my welcome. Harvey is my first dalamatian - and my first dog! The others on this site have been so helpful and it's great to benefit from their experience. I'm sure you'll find it a good place to be too.

Look forward to seeing pics of your pirate soon!

Pirate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi and welcome Reply with quote

Where's Wally? wrote:
Hi Eira

Just wanted to add my welcome. Harvey is my first dalamatian - and my first dog! The others on this site have been so helpful and it's great to benefit from their experience. I'm sure you'll find it a good place to be too.

Look forward to seeing pics of your pirate soon!

Thanks for the welcome Very Happy It's good to know there are people around who can help by sharing their experiences. Wink

Eira
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: