British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Night time whining - how long until it stops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarah8740

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Night time whining - how long until it stops Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I'd be grateful for advice!

I have an 8 month old dalmatian boy, he's getting on brilliantly and we love him to bits, we just have one issue causing us problems - night time!

When he was a small pup we researched crate training pros and cons, and all the recommended techniques and methods with new puppies at night, and we tried a few different things.

I had the pup in a crate in my room but he cried and cried, so I had him in a basket, he'd get out and jump at the bed and cry, then behind a stairgate in the room in his bed, which worked a little better - he'd sleep 1-2 hours then wake up and cry until someone settled him.

Someone who has more experience with puppies suggested that we let him 'cry it out' in another room in his bed, because going to him when he cried was encouraging the behaviour. And note we are talking about an older puppy now - 8 months.

We tried this and he still cried - then our neighbour who is quite unpleasant unfortunately complained Sad

So - we are really stuck and have resorted to letting him sleeping with us, but now he is just getting too big and it's not what we want for him or us long term.

I just wanted to ask if anyone else had let their pup cry at night for a while and how many nights it took for them to sleep? If it looks like it might be a few nights then perhaps I can talk to the neighbour but without any idea whatsoever how long this might take (I know there are no guarantees) i am reluctant to try. We know we've been inconsistent but it's only because nothing has really seemed to make any progress whatsoever so far.

We're really stuck! We'd only consider letting him cry if the puppy was not in distress btw - he isnt hysterically crying or stressed, he is just whinging a little but its impossible to sleep through.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: