British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New user, new pup, happy but clingy!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjl8740

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: New user, new pup, happy but clingy! Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I have a 13 week old pup, Max. He's doing very well and seems happy in his new home.

I just wanted to ask whether it's normal for a 13 week old to be extremely clingy and follow me from room to room and fret a little if I even go upstairs for 2 mins to get something.
Whilst I love him being with me I'm worried as we're still waiting for him to finish his vaccination rounds so I can't properly socialize him yet.
Im hoping that as soon as I can this will help him be more confident to be in a room by himself.

Is this common with Dal pups? I've had experience with other pups before but this is my first dalmatian.

Thankyou!
Nkosi-Kibibi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we had this with our first one, they are not called velcro dogs for nothing Very Happy

Our second one tended to follow both us and our older boy so didnt appear to be as clingy.

Whilst quite sweet we discouraged it as it can cause issues with separation anxiety. We dont allow the spots upstairs so we had a stair gate which he would sit and whine at, if I was carrying things upstairs I let him come up initially as they are terribly nosy too. If I was going to have a bath then I wouldnt let him come up but made sure the TV was left on plenty of toys were around. It is difficult as they are still getting used to new house people and routines,my boy loved his crate and I would often find he had taken refuge in there (covered with a blanket) so he felt safe.

Best of luck Very Happy
ZingDog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I practiced this, as with anything else I wanted from my dog. I'd spend lots of time with her but also made sure she was comfortable being separated from me and/or alone.

I used a baby gate to keep her apart but still in sight of me while I did other things. Keeping them occupied with a chew treat or toy would help make it easier. sometimes I would go over and give her a moment of attention, praise her then walk away again. I would also leave the house, sometimes for a minute, 5 mins, 10 mins, etc, building up the time. Food rewards for the behaviour that I wanted.

I want my dog to be able to be left alone. Of course I am fair about it, she gets a good run or walk in the morning, plenty of attention and mental stimulation. I think it's an important skill for a dog to have as we simply can't bring them everywhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: