British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacieMoo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Hi,
We are getting our dalmatian pup this week. We are so excited for her arrival Laughing

We have done LOTS of research! And more just to ensure we've covered everything! And then a bit more 'just incase'! What I'm wondering is, if anybody has any advice/tips that isn't the 'standard'??? Things you have learnt over the years?? as I'm sure many of you are experts! Your best buys regarding Food? Toys? Training? Treats? Bathing? Grooming?

We have bought a cage, to cage train. Not to lock her up, I hate the thought of that Sad and she will rarely be left home alone! It's mostly to give her her own space and a place to escape to when she just wants some peace! Any tips regarding this?

I've know she will need plenty of exercise. We live within walking distance of a country park which I'm excited for her to explore! Do you recommend a particular routine for walking? I don't want to over do it whilst she only has little legs!

Anything else you can think of??

Sorry for rambling!! Smile
Maggi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome. So excited for you that you are gettinga new family member. What are you calling her?

Hopefully you'll be getting lots of advice from her breeder and with regards to feeding i suggest that you stick with the breeder's diet until your new baby is settled in.

There is lots of advice on here, so in a quiet moment read through some of the old threads for tips.

The most important thing is to start as you mean to go on. When you let your dog do something consider whether you want her to do that when she is an adult? If the answer is no then don't let her do it as a pup. An 8 week old pup jumping up is cute - a 2 year old 26 kg muddy girl is not, so best not allow jumping up ever. Discuss now with your partner/family what the dog's life style will be and make some ground rules that you all stick to. The cage will be a life saver and a moment of sanity. think of it as a den and playpen and portable home for your dog.

Be kind, consistent and understanding. training, training, training from day 1. If you haven't found a training club you like now is the time to start. You should go along a couple of times without dog to see if you like the trainer and their methods. If you do book a puppy class for as soon as she is old enough (after her innoculations).

Aboev all treasure every minute of your puppy. The time passes so quick! My latest 'puppy' was 4 this week and it only seems like 10 minutes since I got him. Enjoy!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: