British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moby the Deaf BYB Dalmatian

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volcanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Moby the Deaf BYB Dalmatian Reply with quote

I just adopted a Dalmatian from the shelter yesterday... they swore to me there was no way he could be deaf. well i've had him since 5:30 last night and he does not respond to sounds at all, whatsoever. He will be going to the vet tomorrow.

So

1. Advice on keeping and training deaf dogs?

2. low purine food plan I have in mind:

-vegetarian or white fish based kibble
-supplement with these things:

calf brain
crayfish
eel
oysters
pig brain
tofu
yogurt
egg
chicken
white fish

what do you think? i got those from a list of low purine foods. i picked anything that was meat or dairy from that list. i will be adding honest kitchen as well as it is prepared with plenty of water.

i don't know how you guys feel on the subject, but dalmatian club of america advises me to put him down and get a hearing dog. that is not happening. he is incredibly sweet, calm and well adjusted and already has some training down from his past owners.

thank you for any advice!
KissCass

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some really helpful advice on http://www.deafdal.co.uk/default.htm
Including hand signs. I walk with a deaf dalmatian every day and my hearing dogs have picked up her hand signs too. She is very sweet and well behaved, but you must always approach her from the front so that she can see you.

As far as food is concerned, my boy is a stone former, and he gets kibble carrot, cheese, peanut butter and apples and is fine with that.
Volcanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is really smart and such a clown... He just opened the back door and went for a stroll LOL. keeping that locked now!
Chris W

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to the forum.A friend of mine has a deaf Dalmatian.She has had her since she was a pup .She has been taught hand signals and responds really well to them.She is a sweet loving dog and gets on well with everybody and everything.
Maggi

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact The Deaf Dog Network http://www.deafdognetwork.org.uk/
They are very helpful and can probably put you in touch with other dalmatian owners who have deaf dogs. Training for deaf dogs has to be paramount and always remember to keep them on the lead in any unpredictable situation as they cannot hear danger. Deaf dogs can learn to be off lead and to recall but it takes time and you must always keep the dog safe.

I realise that you are in America but contact these people anyway as they ahve lots of on line help.
wendymitchell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondered how you're getting on with your deaf Dalmatian. I've got a pup who's just going to turn 5 months old. We realised within the first week that she was completely deaf.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: