British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Age to Spay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Berks-vanman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Age to Spay Reply with quote

Our dalmatian Maggie is now seven months old and is having her first season.

We have always planned on getting her spayed, however when reading online to best age to spay every site has different opinions.

We understand that it is best to spay between seasons, but at what age is best? From what I've read with Dalmatians it's further complicated due to their urinary system (kidney stones etc) so any recommendations would be great. Ideally we would like to get her spayed after this season, but is this wise?
Jeangenie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spaying about 3 months after the end of a season is generally easiest and safest; which season you choose is up to you. I've had one dal spayed after her first season, one spayed at age 5 and one spayed at age 7 after she'd had two litters. It was only the one spayed at age 5 who needed medication for incontinence later in life. If you want to spay her after this season she should be fine. Smile
Matt_and_my_dog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine didn’t have her first season until she was 14 months, and I had her spayed three months after that, so they are all different. I’d let yours have her season and then three months after that take her to the vets for a ‘pre-spay check.’
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: