British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anal glands
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Health Matters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotalot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Anal glands Reply with quote

Daisy has recently started to have trouble with hers.
They have been emptied twice this month and she was not impressed.
She has anti biotics this time....
Any solutions?.........
Jeangenie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does she eat? She could be needing more roughage in her diet. I find that a good gnaw on the end of a fresh marrowbone gives the dogs quite concretey poo the next day which helps empty the glands.
Spotalot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jg
She has a mixture of Dalmatian 22 and Nature diet wet food.
Whatever she has been fed her stools have never been particularly firm. I know you are supposed to be able to kick them with your boot...lol
Will try the marrowbone....although all the butchers shops have closed down around here.
She has been very whingey for the past week, but we wern't sure if some of that is greif Crying or Very sad
For a bold dog she really is a wuse for pain, she squealed loudly then she completely shuts down, won't move and stands in a corner shivering and crying.
She really did not enjoy having them emptied.
Worryingly she's still grizzling a lot on and off now.
My first Dal had to have her glands removed due to the fact they wern't in the right pisition to be emptied on defacation.
Dylan bless hin, never had his done once.It seems strange that she is almost 3 and only just starting to have a problem.
fred22

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raw diet, Carol, would be my suggestion. You're part way there with the naturediet: feeding raw isn't much different from opening a tray of that. The mince comes in bags and is frozen so easy to handle. Try her with a couple of chicken wings from the supermarket
Spotalot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fred22 wrote:
Raw diet, Carol, would be my suggestion. You're part way there with the naturediet: feeding raw isn't much different from opening a tray of that. The mince comes in bags and is frozen so easy to handle. Try her with a couple of chicken wings from the supermarket

I Shocked well believe it or not Dave.....I am toying with the idea...the bones still scare me somehow but will pick up some wings tomorrow.
The natural instinct minces.....do they have the same effect when the bone is all minced up ?
Anne Gurnsey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I went to our vet when Josh was having trouble and that is why mine are fed on Chicken wings and he never had trouble after that. I used to get the vet to empty them when he had his annual booster but they were never overly full and NEVER infected. I know that as a vegetarian that isn't the way you wanted to go but it really does work. The trouble is there is no going back. It took Zak less than 24 hours to discover that dinner with chicken wings was SO much nicer
fred22

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Anne says.

But yes, the natural instinct minces have a suitable proportion of bone minced in and it does the job.

There's nothing like a bone though as a treat

With the wings I hold the end so they have to chew a bit before letting go. You wouldn't have to do that with a carcass but it'll be simpler starting with wings.
Spotalot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrrg.....Am I really thinking about this...... Shocked

Any ideas on amounts ? She is a steady 25kg and I feed 3 times a day, plus a charcoal bonio at bedtime but I'm presuming dog biscuits are out ?
Anne Gurnsey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a total barf feeder so don't panic. mine have an all in one for breakfast but their evening meal is veg, chicken wings -two or three depending on their size - but also often some whole meal mixer. I am really quite casual about it all but the wings just suit my dogs and solve the anal gland problem. Mine eat them whole although you hear them crunch them a few times before swallowing so they obviously break the bones. They also have scraps from our meals so yesterday had chicken skin, spring greens and peas in small quantities. Today it will probably be carrots and beans. I can't see the charcoal biscuit being a problem.
Spotalot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Anne,
I think I may cope better if I don't have to deal with raw meat first thing in the morning.
I have been adding all bran and the motion she did earlier was quite bulky.
I will definately give the chicken wings a go though. And maybe some of the minced stuff that Fred 22 posted about. I really would like to avoid an op to remove the glands.
Maggi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too do bits and pieces feeding - giving raw food when I feel like it and it is convenient. I was about to mention Allbran which does seem to help in most cases.

The vet (or most groomers) can show you how to empty anal glands and you could do it yourself occasionally if you thought she needed it.
fred22

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I'm late, I cant get near the computer these days and I don't like replying from my phone as it takes ages to type anything.

It seems like you have two choices: add in some bone to your existing diet (or Daisy's). If you were going to do this then if I were you I would give her a couple of wings instead of her second meal, so: your usual complete morning and night, and a lunch of chicken wings. Two wings should be sufficient; monitor her weight etc. and adjust the other meals accordingly if she puts weight on.

Alternatively you could start feeding raw mince as well. Again I'm going to say what I would do if I were you. I'd feed mince morning and evening and wings at lunchtime (so ditch the kibble entirely and come back to it later if you wanted. Some people feed kibble for one meal and raw for the other). If you were to do this then the figure given is 2 - 3 % of bodyweight per day. As she's 25kg that's 500 to 750g of raw per day total. A chicken wing is about 125g for a decent one so if she had two at lunch that would leave you two mince meals of 125 -250g each.

I'd start with the chicken at first (click me) for a week or so, then we can start adding in some other flavours. Theres actually a picture of it in a bowl if you follow that link.

You say you dont want to be doing with raw meat in a morning and I sympathise with that but the natural instinct is just like the naturediet which you say you use, only Naturediet is cooked. The texture and consistency is quite similar. Natural Instinct is a very 'clean' mince in plastic cartons like ice cream, the litre tubs. You can spoon it out, and put the lid back on. It keeps in the fridge for a couple of days once defrosted so you should be laughing. Its excellent stuff, eye wateringly expensive but it makes it very easy at first when you have other things to think about. I'd be happy to walk you through at first if you wanted so you could PM me if you had any questions or concerns.
fred22

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry should have said, the reason for adding in the bone to any diet is to firm things up. If you are feeding raw then you monitor what comes out and adjust the amount of bone/other stuff going in accordingly
Spotalot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Fred 22 you are very helpful.
I've no doubt I will be back (just like Arnie) with more questions
Rolling Eyes
fred22

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just do it, spotalot. What's the worst that can happen? That you're right where you are currently.

I know it seems like a big leap but for things like this it seems to be extremely effective
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Health Matters All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: