British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Owner of a Dali
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Health Matters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raj_55555

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: New Owner of a Dali Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
heard a lot about this place, and read lots of informative posts from here. Thanks to everyone for providing such a rich reading source for Dal lovers.

I've brought in an 8 Weeks old pup(Gizmo), liver spotted. Although this is my first dog, I put in a lot of research into it. I've read numerous articles, books and seen many videos on training, nurturing and a lot of other aspects of owning a Dal. I hope I'm welcome Smile

He's 9 weeks now, he always sleeps like this Rolling Eyes

I'm a bit worried about him though, he seems to be having a little tick problem. I've pulled out almost all of them (14 of them) but still a few are hidden and he keeps scratching his ears. I've seen my Vet for this and he's given a Powder which doesn't seem to be that effective as it's been a week of this issue. Any suggestions?

Also he seems a bit underweight, he's pretty active though. But I can see his hip bones when he sleeps, and can feel his ribs very easily. I'm feeding him 4-5 tea-spoons of a powder called 'Semolac' (as was suggested by the Vet) mixed with luke warm water 4 times a day + his calcium and Vitamins. That's all the food he gets in a day, my parents think it's not enough to fill it's tummy but I try not to use my instincts over the Vets observations. But I must say I'm starting to be a bit skeptical too. Any comments?

He's more or less housebroke and already learned Sit, jump, stay, down and Come in a week, quite a smart one Laughing .. My bro even taught him to handshake..

Anyways, Please suggest or comment on whether I'm missing out on something.
Spotalot

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and a very warm welcome....this is a very helpful friendly forum.
Firstly Gizmo is gorgeous Very Happy
I am a little confused....are you saying that he only gets this powder mixed up in water and no food Shocked
Puppies in England at this age would be getting four good meals a day.
There are lots on here who have or do breed so hopefully some will be a long with good advice.
The ticks are a little worrying as they can cause a pup or dog to get very ill if not removed fully and quickly....we have something called a tick hook in this country that you slip over the head of the tick and twist and pull . If you leave the head of the tick in and only remove the body the dog can get ill.
raj_55555

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotalot wrote:
Hello and a very warm welcome....this is a very helpful friendly forum.
Firstly Gizmo is gorgeous Very Happy
I am a little confused....are you saying that he only gets this powder mixed up in water and no food Shocked
Puppies in England at this age would be getting four good meals a day.
There are lots on here who have or do breed so hopefully some will be a long with good advice.
The ticks are a little worrying as they can cause a pup or dog to get very ill if not removed fully and quickly....we have something called a tick hook in this country that you slip over the head of the tick and twist and pull . If you leave the head of the tick in and only remove the body the dog can get ill.

Thanks for the kind words Smile.

Yes he's just eating the powders, it's some weening formula that my Vet recommends. I did feed him some rice and hard boiled eggs today out of compulsion, but then switched back to his normal diet. I hope someone from here can give me some suggestion.

As for the tick I'm thinking about getting the front-line for the tick. But it's not available locally and I might have to import one, any other suggestions would be great! I've gotten most of the ticks out, but I think the eggs could still be there along with a couple of ticks that I can't see.
Tim Lockett

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Raj and Gizmo, He is lovely! I had tick problem with ticks with my forst dog Wilf. I sprayed the back of his neck with frontline spray every 3 months. You shouldn't really remove ticks as they have barbs that lock under the dogs skin and will stay in and cause abscess if pulled at. Putting some Benzyl Benzoate cream on the tick will kill it and it will drop off without damaging your lovely dog.

HTH

Tim Very Happy
raj_55555

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Lockett wrote:
Welcome Raj and Gizmo, He is lovely! I had tick problem with ticks with my forst dog Wilf. I sprayed the back of his neck with frontline spray every 3 months. You shouldn't really remove ticks as they have barbs that lock under the dogs skin and will stay in and cause abscess if pulled at. Putting some Benzyl Benzoate cream on the tick will kill it and it will drop off without damaging your lovely dog.

HTH

Tim Very Happy

Thanks Tim Smile
Do i get the benzyl benzoate at Vet meds store? And does it have any side effects if the puppy licks it?
I fed it rice and hard boiled eggs very finely crushed together. He seemed to really love it, I saw that eggs were low on purine so that shouldn't be an issue. Please someone comment on his diet, I'm getting a bit worried!

P.S. I have a feeling this thread isn't getting enough response as it's in the "New User" thread. Can an admin please transfer it to the "Health Matters" section?
KissCass

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Raj and Gizmo

He looks lovely! It does seem a very small amount, and we certainly feed puppies on rice and egg so you will not harm him in any way. What did his breeder feed him on? Usually we would carry on feeding him the same. Has he been wormed? He will need to be. Why don't you start a new thread under health as lots of people on here have bred puppies and I'm sure can offer you some good advice.
raj_55555

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KissCass wrote:
Hi Raj and Gizmo

He looks lovely! It does seem a very small amount, and we certainly feed puppies on rice and egg so you will not harm him in any way. What did his breeder feed him on? Usually we would carry on feeding him the same. Has he been wormed? He will need to be.

Thanks Smile Yes he has been dewormed and is being fed deworming medications every 7 days. The breeders fed him cows milk and cornflakes/chapatis. I know most pups don't do milk well so I switched it.

I am not starting a new thread, I have decided to feed him normal food twice a day and the weening powder twice. I will give it a week and see what happens. Question
Getting decent kibbles here is difficult too as the only common ones are Royal canine and Pedigree, both of which are rated pretty low. I'm trying to get my hands on Eukanuba or Taste of Wild.

Thanks all of you guys for the great welcome

In the mean while can you guys list some of the common foods you would feed your puppy;I'll be searching as well but I would like to see what the experts do Smile
Jeangenie

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! The usual feeding routine for puppies is 4 meals a day until they're 12 weeks old, 3 meals a day till they're 6 months old and then 2 meals a day for the rest of their life.

As for quantities, growing puppies need three-quarters of an ounce of mixed meat and biscuit/rice for each pound of bodyweight, and an adult needs half an ounce per pound bodyweight.

If he were mine I would feed him one meal of milk with an egg in it, and the other three meals of meat or fish with rice, with general vitamin/calcium tablet daily. While they're growing they need the very best of food to make them strong healthy adults.

Hope this helps!
Maggi

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think he should be having proper food as he seems too old for weaning powder. Rice and egg are fine but he needs meat or puppy kibble as well. Where in India aree you? If you are finding it hard to find suppliers I will try to find out for you as mmy husband's cousin works for a pet food supplier in Bangalore.

I realise getting fresh meat for him may be complicated if you are in an area without good refrigeration but most of the major dog food brands do suitable puppy food. I know Royal Canin is available in India and they do a suitable puppy food and also an adult food for dalmatians. Royal Canin is generally well regarded and I don't know why you think it would be low rated.

Frontline would be a good idea if you can get hold of it. Can you import it easily?

Gizmo looks a delightful little chap. Look forward to hearing more about him.
raj_55555

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeangenie wrote:
If he were mine I would feed him one meal of milk with an egg in it, and the other three meals of meat or fish with rice, with general vitamin/calcium tablet daily. While they're growing they need the very best of food to make them strong healthy adults.
Hope this helps!

Isn't milk not good for dogs? What milk would you have given? Thanks taking the time to advise on this, this was exactly what I needed Smile

BTW how many times a day can I feed him eggs? Can I feed him eggs daily? Should I boil the egg and the meat? So many questions!! Rolling Eyes

Last edited by raj_55555 on Sun May 26, 2013 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total
raj_55555

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggi wrote:
If you are finding it hard to find suppliers I will try to find out for you as my husband's cousin works for a pet food supplier in Bangalore.

That's so nice of you, I really appreciate it Smile I live in Kolkata, West Bengal. Let me sniff around a bit, and I'll ping you in case I can't find anything.
Maggi wrote:

I know Royal Canin is available in India and they do a suitable puppy food and also an adult food for dalmatians. Royal Canin is generally well regarded and I don't know why you think it would be low rated.

It is very highly regarded by most breeders that I came across as well, however Dog food reviews rates it(and pedigree) as 1 Star. Most experienced breeders (as I've read) say it's "Horrible" food to feed. That was the only reason I was looking for a premium brand. These are the only two dog foods readily available here.
Right now I'm trying to see if I can order some quality kibble online, the dilemma is what if my puppy doesn't like the kibble? Question I would hate to waste 15 Kg or even 3 Kg of kibble. I guess I'll have to take the chance.

Quote:

Frontline would be a good idea if you can get hold of it. Can you import it easily?

Gizmo looks a delightful little chap. Look forward to hearing more about him.

I'm trying to order it online as well! It would cost me somewhere around 40$. And finally thank you so much for the kind words. Smile
raj_55555

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, he's coughing very often since yesterday. Is that normal?
Jeangenie

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raj_55555 wrote:
Jeangenie wrote:
Hope this helps!

Isn't milk not good for dogs? What milk would you have given? Thanks taking the time to advise on this, this was exactly what I needed Smile

BTW how many times a day can I feed him eggs? Can I feed him eggs daily? Should I boil the egg and the meat? So many questions!! Rolling Eyes

Goats' milk is better for puppies than cows' milk, but it can be more difficult to obtain. You can feed the egg raw, whisked into the milk, or you can boil it and chop it up,; either is fine. You can also give him the raw eggshell to play with - it'll do no harm if he eats it, and it's a good source of calcium.

No need to feed more than one egg a day; he needs other sources of protein as well, which can be meat or fish (not oily types like sardineor mackererl). The meat or fish can be given raw or cooked - in a hot climate cooked meat is probably safer.

If you can get Royal Canin food then definitely feed that; it's one of the better kibbles and will give him the right balance of protein, vitamins and minerals.

And no, coughing isn't normal, and is something I'd want checked out. There are many possible causes (infection or worms or something stuck in his throat) so the right treatment is important.

Good luck! He's a sweet little pup!
raj_55555

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeangenie wrote:
raj_55555 wrote:
Jeangenie wrote:
Hope this helps!

Goats' milk is better for puppies than cows' milk, but it can be more difficult to obtain. You can feed the egg raw, whisked into the milk, or you can boil it and chop it up,; either is fine. You can also give him the raw eggshell to play with - it'll do no harm if he eats it, and it's a good source of calcium.

No need to feed more than one egg a day; he needs other sources of protein as well, which can be meat or fish (not oily types like sardineor mackererl). The meat or fish can be given raw or cooked - in a hot climate cooked meat is probably safer.

If you can get Royal Canin food then definitely feed that; it's one of the better kibbles and will give him the right balance of protein, vitamins and minerals.

And no, coughing isn't normal, and is something I'd want checked out. There are many possible causes (infection or worms or something stuck in his throat) so the right treatment is important.

Good luck! He's a sweet little pup!

Thanks you've really helped a lot.. I'll see if I can get the vet to see him today and I'll follow your diet guide Smile Thanks again!
Maggi

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely get the cough seen to sooner rather than later.

I wouldn't take too much notice fo those dog food analysis sites as they are American and promoting their own food (vets do this too!). A good food is one that your dog likes, suitable for his age and breed and that you can afford!!

Jeangenie's food guide is excellent. she's a very experienced dalmatian owner (she'll probably murder me if I say how long she and I have had dalmatians! Laughing) and she works in a vets so knows her stuff.

Make sure you have wormed him with wormer from the vet, not from a pet shops, as it is important for him to be worm free.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Health Matters All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: