British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two dallys. Is it twice the fun or double trouble????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Breeding & Rearing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kellydal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Two dallys. Is it twice the fun or double trouble???? Reply with quote

As people may have seen my Theo is a year old on April Fools Day and we hope to add to our spotty family in the future. I promised my partner just one more but I'm sure in time I would get broody again. I know you all say to wait a while between pups and why so just wondering what people's experiences of owning two dallys has been both with a close age gap and longer one. Twice the fun, double the trouble or a lot of both haha.
Spotalot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 2 and a half years between my first two.
We had a girl first and when she was almost mature and well trained we got Dylan.
Apart from a little grumble when Kacey realised he was coming home with us from the breeders, they got on like a house on fire.
Kacey mothered him and kept him in line.
I do remember finding it a little tricky once Dylan was able to go for walks, as of course she needed long walks and he needed short ones. I carried him untill he got to heavy, and then I used to give them a short walk take him home and wait till he was asleep, then sneak back out with her.

They were always great mates and played long and hard all the time.......not much chance on watching your favourite tv programme....lol

When we sadly lost Kacey at 13 , we were all bereft and Daisy came along to help fill the gap.
Dylan was a steady influence on her and she still minds him now even though he's almost 14.

I love having two, my only note of caution is to be aware that as they get older the vet fees can be an issue, so if you have 2, its a big outlay.

For me Id rather have the dogs than other things.
KissCass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's both. There are many posts on here by me about "should I have 2" and I even borrowed one for a couple of weeks to see what it was like. I love having two.

Can I put a word in for Welfare though? I was going to have a puppy, so I waited until Cassie was 2 but my elderly mother has to come to live with me at that time. So I rescued an older dog instead and he is loved and valued just as much as Cassie and I have the pleasure of knowing I have given him his second chance. He was 7 when we got him and I know we won't have him for a very long time but he is so worth it. He has learned so much and you can certainly tea h an old dog lots of new tricks. I will always rescue now.

It costs at least twice as much - more for us as we had to buy a different car! They Take up twice as much room especially when they play in the evening Laughing Laughing
Kellydal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been keeping an eye out in welfare sites just none of the dogs for rehoming seem to fit in with our family circumstances. My daughter was frightened of all dogs which was one of the reasons we got one and opted for a puppy to start from scratch with her. She is fine with Theo but still wary of dogs she doesn't know.

My dream for the future when she is grown up and we have a bigger house would be to foster for the dalmatian welfare and help spots out until they find their forever homes.

Thankyou for your replies Smile yes can imagine the vet bills after how much it cost to take Theo to the emergency vet when he removed most of a pad on a walk. Double the cost if you want to go away anywhere too. Family will have Theo but don't think they could manage double spots x
KissCass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

British Dalmatian Welfare assess the dogs very carefully and sometimes when they're fostered you can meet them and walk them. The co-ordinators are very helpful and understanding, and you could always have a chat with them. It's very important to them that the right dogs are married up with the right people. Maybe you could come to the Fun Day near Oxford in June or the North of England Fun Day and meet all the welfare Dalmatians.
Kellydal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we will have to do that. The ones when I last looked all either said "doesn't like cats" "doesn't like male dogs" or "not good with children". Rang up a normal shelter who had a 9mth old male for rehoming who had been there since he was 6mths old but they would not rehome him with another male. Theo would love to have a spotty play mate
Anne Gurnsey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's important to register with Welfare and get home checked otherwise even if there is a dog that you think suits you you may miss the opportunity as someone else on the home checked list will be offered him/her. We do aim to match homes with dogs so take into account other pets, children, working hours etc.

However we would not place a young male with you if Theo is only one but would recommend a bitch. Most reputable breeders would be the same as they know the potential for difficulty when they both reach maturity.

I, like Spotalot and Kisscass, have a pair one of each sex and my new Welfare dog Zac has fitted into our household as if he had lived here all his life.

An illustration of how quickly it can be is that we had a call about a dog called Pogo late on Friday, he was assessed yesterday and I have a likely home for him today I just need to sort out the details. So looking at our website some dogs will appear VERY fleetingly.

And I am a total sucker for having a pair, it just suits my lifestyle, five when I had them was too many, one definitely too few.

Good Luck
Kellydal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. Yes would be thinking of a bitch as aware there can be issues with 2 boys but wasnt sure how much if Theo is castrated? He is our first dog so never done this before. Have spoke with a breeder as torn between a new puppy and a welfare. I would have lots of spots if I was allowed but think the other half may have a breakdown. Will definitely be home checked when we get our new forever family home to see about fostering. Smile
gillieworm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2, a boy and girl, 13 months apart in age. Had both from 8 week old puppies.

Pros: Double the fun, they keep each other company & are best friends, we get 1 each to cuddle up to Wink , it just seems to work woth 2 dogs in our household

Cons: 3 times the mess!! dog hair, dog hair, dog hair, you think its bad with 1, wait till you have 2!! twice the cost, food, vets etc, and the main one we have found is if you want to go away, less people are inclined to look after 2 for you, and a lot of holiday places specify only 1 dog, so that can limit you.

As for the close in age thing, we personally haven't had any problems, the only thing I do sometimes think about is we may loose them both relatively close together because of their close ages when the time comes, morbid thought I know, but something that does bother me.
Kellydal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes the hair situation is a good point as well as the extra cost! Ha my other half was surprised as I hadn't warned him about the hair and he thought Theo wouldn't moult! Silly man! And I too like you had looked at the morbid side of it re losing two spottys close together and the effect that would have on us all.

Nice to hear from people with all different age gaps between their dogs. Pros and cons seem to be pretty much the same. Other threads I've seen on forum have people saying it was good to have them close together and other people saying its better with an age gap. So that will be the decision I think.
Spotalot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To throw another thought into the pot......although I generally do think a gap of at least 2 years is good if rearing from pups.
As an aside to Gills point of maybe loosing both dogs close together....I wonder if in some ways its easier to have them closer together so that as they age their capacity for exercise is the same.
I am lucky that we are both retired and therefore dont have to leave the older dog home alone when Daisy goes for long walks....I still hate to see Dylans little face at the window when we leave.....the mind is still very willing.....lol
Mr Spotalot brings him to meet us for the last bit of the walk......but then again the pup probably gave him a new lease of life.......decisions...decisions....
If money were no object maybe 3 is the answer.... Rolling Eyes Wink Confused
Kellydal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes the exercise with them being a similar age is also a good point! Theo has boundless energy, not sure how much they slow down in older age but know they won't have quite the same demands. Yes decisions decisions. Love the idea of a forever home for a dally who for whatever reason can't stay with their family. BUT I also love watching a puppy grow and change. Currently money would not be an issue but space would unfortunately only have space for 2 at the minute. BUT looking for a bigger house next year so then who knows haha. They are so addictive I can see that this is going to be a life long habit. Spending my time brooding over spotty wonders.
Kellydal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ps you lot are rather helpful
Ilse23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest con to a dally:
The hair loss... It drives me crazy... Hair everywhere and with 2: hair x2
There's even dally hair at my desk in the Office. ( That's in Brussels, which is 1h50min away from my home)

But with the negative point, are all the positive points:
Sweet dogs, funny, nice, makes everyone laugh, they cuddle, ...

So 2 dogs is double fun!!! I'm trying to keep myself of having a 3rd Embarassed Rolling Eyes
Spotalot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ilse23 wrote:
The biggest con to a dally:
The hair loss... It drives me crazy... Hair everywhere and with 2: hair x2
:

Diversing completely, but a local lady to me lost her Dally 4 years ago and she says she still finds tiny white hairs on clothes in her wardrobe Rolling Eyes

Incidentally the same lady now owns a sweet border terrier.....her grown up family talked her out of another Dally...but she tells me the terrier is far harder to train than her Dally was. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Breeding & Rearing All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: