British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calling all lovers of spots
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maggi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to disillusion you, but bitches and neutered dogs also run off! You need to spend time working on the recall. He will grow out of it. Castration can work for dog to dog aggression (though not necessarily) and some other problems but it is not the cure for all behaviour problems. It may stop him humping but it won't necessarily stop him running off to play with other dogs. Keep up the training!
Kellydal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry not under any disillusion working closely with breeder who is a trainer and my own trainer. Take him twice weekly to formal training and work on our training everywhere to proof his commands. Had him castrated as the running off was after particularly interesting smelling dogs which he then wanted to mount and hump and could not forget about. Usually if he has to be retrieved just because he has chosen to ignore me he will then stick by me. Thats why the castration was suggested with me not wanting to stud him.

Other than in these situations his recall is generally good unless he knows the dogs and disagrees with me ending playtime. He has completed his bronze award and is going to be working towards silver and starting agility when weather improves so I am very committed to training especially as he is the first dog I have ever owned myself. Previous experience of training animals has been in work capacity and not dogs lol. I appreciate training is a life long commitment and not a flash in the pan so to speak Smile
Kellydal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another factor was not him being aggressive because he seems soft as horse poo but other dogs aggressing towards him. Was suggested rightly or wrongly that castration may help relieve these problems especially when the aggressors were also entire males. Vets today commented on how well behaved he is as have other breeders and dal owners I have met so hopefully we are getting some things right with our training. My daughter is also loving being involved with teaching him all sorts of funny tricks on top of the regular stuff to keep his brain active Smile
Maggi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done - sounds like you have it about right. It is hard work, but I guess having dalmatians keeps us all fit because we're always oon the go!

I think we all think our dogs are worse than they are when they play us up. Sometimes I want to murder Caper and then someone always tells me how good he is and I realise that on the whole they are right. Mind you, as he's going to miss out on 6 weeks' training while I'm laid up I might not think that when I get back to training classes Laughing Laughing
Kellydal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes sounds about right haha. It's always nice when someone compliments your dogs behaviour but you can always guarantee the one day they are in a cheeky mood you come across the least nice dog owners. They are just like children really and play up at the times you feel rough or are most tired so hard to know if they are being that bad or it's just because your not 100% yourself. So I have a human teenager and a dally teenager and I have to say he is the easiest of the two on balance. It's so nice having this supportive community too to share stories of pride and shame and to get tips. I'm lucky too to have a trainer who likes dallys and says how intelligent if not stubborn they are as opposed to the many we tried before with their lovely comments about them being untrainable, thick and the corker of "are you mad you have your work cut out for you there".

Having only owned Theo I have nothing to compare him to but I am just hanging on for the ride. A few tears, loads of laughs and some fantastic memories and that's just in a year. Now I've had a dally I don't think anything else will ever compare Smile I seriously need to get on the laptop so I can upload some pics and show my gorgeous boy off!
Spotalot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep....you're hooked Very Happy
KissCass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we want to see the pictures too......
Kellydal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baby Theo when we first got him.

Theo now almost 1 (April fools day baby haha)

[/url]
Ann99

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So cute as a puppy and what a handsome boy he's grown into!

Lovely photos Laughing
Spotalot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a lovely boy.
Very handsome, thanks for sharing.
Kellydal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing how quickly they grow isn't it! I can't wait to add another spot to the family in the future Smile
KissCass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh he is so cute! I love the one with him resting his nose! Thanks for posting them.
Kellydal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for looking Smile my friends get bored of all my pictures it's not face book it's dalmatian book lol. I love that picture too it's how he sits sometimes when I'm driving he obviously doesn't trust me haha
Maggi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lovely boy - he looks full of mischief, but with a face to melt your heart so you can't be cross!
Tim Lockett

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely looking lad! He appears to take his comfort where he finds it! Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: