British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calling all lovers of spots
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kellydal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Calling all lovers of spots Reply with quote

Hi all

I am so glad that I have stumbled on this forum! I am proudly owned by an 11 1/2 month entire male dally who has up until today been only what can be described as an angel. He is top of his puppy training class so well behaved while everyone messes about, not destructive and good on walks with his recall.

However today my darling boy decided to want to play with/hump a male dog. So I walked off a little way and attempted the whistle recall which is normally a sure bet. And you betcha he decided to totally blank me. Then the man starts walking off with his dog and mine hot on his heels even though he could see I was on my way to him he sped off at superhuman speed. When I eventually caught him up just short of having an asthma attack he told me my dog was the worst behaved one he had ever seen, shouted at me and left me in tears. I daren't continue my walk for fear of it happening again - that and a tonne of YSL mascara down my face. His dog which was cowering at his feet he said was well trained.

So I guess I just needed to vent and hear that he's being a teenager and it will get better and that I'm not the worst dog owner in the world.

And breathe

[/img]http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w453/theoaprilfool/image_zps2f3ab61a.jpg
Maggi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No don't worry you are just a normal person with a teenage dalmatian!
It's horrid when that happens, a woman did it to me and ended up right back at her car with me running behind trying to get my naughty boy back from her pack of girls. She wouldn't wait and shouted at me when I finally retrieved him. But hey no one died or was hurt and I just had to keep working on the recall. Spring is just round the corner, there are lots of lady dogs in interesting conditions and boys are boys.

Keep out of his way if you can, put the dog on the lead if you see him and then ignore him. Take your boy back to training and keep working on the recall. And to cheer yourself up read back through some of the the old threads on here where you will find that we've all been humiliated on numerous occasions by our spotted darlings. But we love them and wouldn't be without them.
Kellydal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and thanks Maggi. We work very hard on the training going twice a week formally and work on it in every day life in different situations to proof the commands. This male dog just obviously smelt very tasty. I do hope Theo can't read lol as I am planning to have his manhood apparatus removed in a few months as I do not plan to breed from him so hopefully that should reduce a bit of his lady/castrated male chasing.

There are some very funny stories on here that have made me chuckle and reassured me that we are not alone. I do not want theo to be that mans version of well trained if it means him cowering at my feet and when I raise a hand. I'm sure I will look back on today and laugh just not yet. Such a shock when it's the first time it happens however I shall know what to look out for now if he is becoming too enthusiastic over a dog.

Worst bit was I thought I had got far enough away and he seemed distracted by seaweed he'd found so I let him off again and the monkey ran straight back round with me running after him. Cue obnoxious man leaving in his car winding his window down and making more comments. Lovely dog walkers around commented back saying everyone has been there. But I have learnt from my mistake. I'm sure he is going to test me in more ways after all my little boy is growing up now haha
jacksondal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days i dont feel Jackson and i have had a good walk without him letting us both down in one way or another, he is also 11 months old.
lalang

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Oscar is 11 months too, and yes, we're exactly the same! In doors he's my companion and my best friend, outdoors he doesn't want to know me and we fall out Sad
Tim Lockett

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think maturity changes the letting down bit, but the bond get's stronger and stronger. Taking a treat bag on walk's does make for a more stable outdoor relationship. Laughing Laughing Razz Wink
Kellydal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so glad we are not alone in his adolescence my obedient little boy has disappeared. Good job I bloody love him despite his antics. He never fails to make me laugh!
Spotalot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there and welcome Laughing

I guess I can only sympathise and add ...we've been there and all own the t-shirts....
Keep up with the training and he will come out the other side.
IslandGirl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As everyone says, we've all got similar stories to tell. I'll have to revisit my posts to remind myself of mine but, that said, I dont remember seeing any of those dogs and owners lately, we're still out walking in all weathers and can only guess their poor mutts are languishing at home. Unless it's because they see us coming first Laughing

Keep up the good work and keep smiling. Smile
Kellydal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww thanks everyone. I have calmed down and not seen him since. I just cannot believe how rude some people can be. But it has reaffirmed to me to carry on being polite and friendly to other owners when it is there dogs that are misbehaving and to have a bit of empathy. And to breathe a sigh of relief with fingers crossed behind my back that at Least on that occasion it wasn't me with the red cheeks.
KissCass

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that some people get "dog rage" in the same way others get road rage - totally out of proportion to the incident. I was told by one man that my dogs were known as vicious all over Basingstoke and if I didn't muzzle them he'd report me to th police. He also threatened my husband. All this because his westie was a bit overwhelmed by 2 big dogs running up.

However since then I have always recalled them for other dogs and then told them they can go say hello when appropriate. It will ensure, I hope, that it doesn't happen again.
Spotalot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha....Kisscass that would be very funny if it wasn't so ludicrous.
Tim Lockett

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotalot wrote:
Ha ha....Kisscass that would be very funny if it wasn't so ludicrous.

Yes and factual! Though it is obvious to all around who's hound started a rumpus (And this happens, and is just a fact of having dog's) they then go on the attack as their hound did, as if two wrongs will make a right.
Matt_and_my_dog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the opposite problem; my little b*****r keeps coming back. But when she does misbehave, I just pretend she’s not mine, merely a stray that’s been following me Smile
Kellydal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to update the situation of disappearing has not improved if he gets scent of a bitch or castrated male who takes his fancy. OH was walking him on the beach and he disappeared out of sight for 10-15minutes. I don't want to resort to keeping him on lead all the time until his hormones settle as he has never really been an on lead boy. So with a heavy heart I have booked him in to have the Crown Jewels removed after his first bday in a couple of weeks. So hoping in time his love for the ladies will simmer down. No intentions to breed from him so don't feel it's too bad a thing ridding him of his raging hormones. Just hope I'm doing the right thing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: