British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rescue dogs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Welfare
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KissCass

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Rescue dogs Reply with quote

For anyone who is in 2 minds about rescuing, I would just like to say that the two foster dogs I have had have been lovely, kind and gentle dogs. I had rescued a border collie in the past who was always anxious and clingy. Smehow I got it into my head that rescues would be more trouble than a puppy. How wrong can you be? Alfie is not perfect, he is stimulated to bark by reflected light, he likes the rubbish bin and he pulls on the lead. But already in 10 days he has learned to wait for his food until released, learned down and bed (he didn't have one) and has stopped going upstairs (mostly). He may not be chilled out yet, but he certainly is part of the family.

I would also like to take the opportunity to say how fantastic the people at Welfare are. They are so supportive, helpful and nice with it, and are not phased by changes of mind or stupid questions. They are excellent at keeping in touch and doing what they say they will do. Even the lady I let down by keeping Alfie sent me a lovely e mail. I am also in contact with the new owner of my other foster dog who sends me photographs.

In short, if anyone has doubts about adopting - don't. I am so happy tonight I could cry. I know there are some strange people in the world, but most are good, kind and caring and a lot of them post on this forum.
sas1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lovely post KissCass, and true, but remember and take some of the credit yourselves - Alfred the Great is Great because of you and the lovely home you've given him. Smile
fred22

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear hear! Three cheers for the kisscasses!
Spotalot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing
That is so lovely to read Kisscass Laughing Laughing
Very well done to you Paul and Cassie and we look forward to meeting him soon Laughing

By the way Dylan still thinks he was the one that persuaded you that boys were good Rolling Eyes so best not burst his bubble Laughing
KissCass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotalot wrote:
Laughing Laughing
That is so lovely to read Kisscass Laughing Laughing
Very well done to you Paul and Cassie and we look forward to meeting him soon Laughing

By the way Dylan still thinks he was the one that persuaded you that boys were good Rolling Eyes so best not burst his bubble Laughing

Dylan is the best boy EVER and always will be a model for the rest. However, I thought there might only be one Dylan in the world............ Surprised
gillieworm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done for rescuing Alfie, It definitely sounds like he has landed on his paws Smile

I'm still clinging onto my old lottery win dream, where I can get a home big enough to rescue loads of dogs Very Happy
Maggi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh how lovely - I hadn't realised that Alfie had FOUND his forever home. I'm so happy for him and you.

My adopted dogs have all just been fabulous - no trouble at all really. I agree with everything you say about the Welfare folk - some real uncrowned saints out there!

Well done and I wish the Kisscasses a long and happy family life with Alfred the Great.
Wyrd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my dogs have been rescues and they have all been lovely dogs with wonderful temperaments Very Happy

Nags Equestrian -Handmade beta biothane synthetic bridles and dog equipment to your requirements.
A Brock

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current two dallies are both rescues via Welfare too and they are fantastic. Both have had their issues but are wonderful, loving dogs. There is something very satisfying about watching them both haring around in the fields or woods knowing that not only do they make us happy but that we've made their lives better too!
Spotalot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Brock wrote:
My current two dallies are both rescues via Welfare too and they are fantastic. Both have had their issues but are wonderful, loving dogs. There is something very satisfying about watching them both haring around in the fields or woods knowing that not only do they make us happy but that we've made their lives better too!

Having met Clarence and Masie and having a very nice walk with them I can vouch for that they are both lovely dogs. Laughing Laughing
dogtired

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: One good turn deserves another.. Reply with quote

71/2 years ago I was lucky enough to get my boy through Welfare.Some one recently helped me in my search for a new job, I have now been able to help her in her search for a rescue dallie… What goes around comes around. She is waiting on her home visit!!One thing that has amazed me is that so many of the names remain the same.. What an amazing job you guys are still doing Very Happy
Anne Gurnsey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As one of the "same names" thank you for the compliments.

We are very lucky in Welfare to really work as a team. I remember years ago that one person acted as co-ordinator and shouldered 95% of the load. Now we are a team of nine withy some additional helpers who all pull their weight. We rotate jobs every four months so we get a rest from carrying the mobile around with us ( on Saturday while I was in the hall at the joint club show there were four calls which meant another four young bitches needing a new home).

Although of course there are bad times and we do not get it right every time it iis still intensely rewarding. I made follow up call yesterday on a dog we moved on Saturday and was told it was a match made in heaven.
What more could you ask for?
dogtired

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Same names Reply with quote

Yep , I did say to my collegue, I first spoke to a lady call "Anne "Laughing Laughing
dogtired

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: FOLLOW ON Reply with quote

Mr. Green I am so chuffed my collegue has her Dalmatian.... I have seen pictures, I am hoping to get to meet her soon... Another job WELL DONE.
Homeless

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of mine are rescues Joe X Border Collie, He came to us with problems, but with our help has turned into a wonderful dog that that we love dearly.

Faith Dally came to us as a puppy, smallest of the litter and has given us so much pleasure.
Our next dog will be a Dalmatian, and a rescue.

Wonderful post Kisscass.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Welfare All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: