British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Encouraging the 'Stand'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Shows & Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeangenie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Encouraging the 'Stand' Reply with quote

I'm working on Daisy's training, but the problem I'm having is that her 'default' setting seems to be a 'Sit'. This is all well and good but I'd prefer that she stood unless she was told to sit.

She'll stand when encouraged with a titbit, but as soon as she's had it she promptly sits down again. If I just stand and wait she does a very good impersonation of Tigger, boinging into the air and yapping at me!

I know it's early days - she's only 11 weeks - but I don't want to confuse her by doing it wrong.
Spotalot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing
I like boinging Laughing
Don't know if it's any help but our trainer gets us to gently lift them by putting the back of your hand under the back leg where it joins the body whilst saying 'stand' and then tickle them gently in the same place whilst holding the titbit on the nose!
Seems to work. Easier if you kneel down though.
jabbadal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often some puppies can be extremely orientated to where both your hands are placed and also the location of the treat, when training.
When encourging the stand, keep hands and treat low - this means head and neck are low and bottom is more likely to be up!
Puppies whose 'default' position is sit, will often offer a sit as soon as your hands go up - brings the head up - centre of balance changes - bottom goes down!
From a sit, take the treat directly to the nose and draw the puppy towards you, keeping hands and treat low (some puppies require you to step back as you do this). As soon as bottom comes up into a stand (and before they start walking forward), reward.
Repeat many times, until she's got it, then introduce the cue word e.g 'stand'. cue word is given as the bottom is coming up, treat is given once the bottom is up. Repeat until she's got that.
Next stage: As the stand is offered, remove treat hand, immediately replace with the other hand (such as a 'stop' hand signal), then immediately give treat back to the puppy. Timing at first is a split second! She will gradually learn to 'wait' in this position while a treat hand moves away. (for a puppy who likes to sit, still keep the treat hand low when removed at first). Once she's got that, introduce the cue e.g 'wait', gradually building this up to at least 10 seconds before moving on.
Next stage, use a hand to lure her into the stand which doesn't have the treat in it (but make her think it does!), as soon as she stands, reward is given by the other hand, which was higher up your body to start with.
Repeat several times, so she can learn to stand without luring and realise that the treat hand is actually higher up but is still coming down to her nose for her to get it.
Once she's got this, you can gradually start refining the whole thing, until she can stand from a sit, with your hands remaining in a normal position (not luring) and you can stand tall and straight and then eventually start asking her to start waiting in a stand for longer periods.

Puppies seem to come with a default postion that they like best, which often means we have to work harder on the other positions, until they all become equal.
If she offers you the sit alot through the day, start asking for the stand everytime, she gets meals, treats, attention etc, until the positions have evened themselves out!

Have fun - LOVE puppies!!

http://www.zyworld.com/jabbawockdalmatians
Jeangenie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's brilliant advice, Jabbadal - thanks! Smile
donothing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Stand Reply with quote

Another tip: Do not lean over your pup, kneel down to her height until she grows a bit. A puppy will automatically sit because they are trying to look up at you.

With both Phin and Bailey if they are generally standing well, which Dalmatians tend to do we tell them "nice stand" in a pleased tone. We now have a situation that if they are scrounging they stand in a brilliant show stance because they want something, then in the ring they do their own thing, bless them.
Alphadal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen her big sister Ella in the ring???? Shocked
EVERYONE asks me "have you trained her to sit?" Confused oh course I haven't but this is also her default setting.
Keeping my hand low as Lou has suggested has worked a great deal for Ella and it hasn't held her back showing wise so far, so I have learn't to relax about it. Very Happy
Now that she is a little older I have started to teach her to stand on command and then hold it for a few seconds and gradually extend the time she is waiting for the treat, careful not to give her it just as she is about to sit though (been training hubby out of that one!!!)
Good luck
Paula xxxx
donothing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Stand Reply with quote

We were told before we got Bailey that you should never teach a Dalmatian you plan to show to sit. We have taught both from day one, and both Bailey and Phinias know that if they have their show leads on they Stand, if they have normal collars or no collars on they sit. They both have to sit before they are allowed through the baby gate to te front door and walks, when they get in to get their collars off, when we get visitor and when we come in from work, and that they sit and do not jump.

We only use their show leads for show training / reminding and the show ring, they are never used for general day to day wear.

We were asked once at Dalmatian Club of Scotland "how did you teach your Dalmatian to sit?", we just look at is as Sit and Stand are just commands, one palm up with a show lead on, and one is palm down with no show lead.

Also in the show ring remember you only need to have your Dalmatian standing still while the judge is looking at it, if you have been seen and the judge is looking at other Dalmatians let yours relax and enjoy the experience - obviously not for the final line-up this is a stand. We were told this at our first Champ show by several who have been around for years, and have found that Bailey and Phinias seem to enjoy themselves more as they can relax - mind I do think at one show Bailey got binned as the judge was not impressed that she was in the ring eating icecream, well it was scortching hot and there were over twenty in the class. So be aware of how relaxed you allow your Dalmatian to get Smile

Good luck with the training
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Shows & Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: