British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Critique for Junior Handling at the BDC Open show 14/05/2011

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Juniors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabbadal

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Critique for Junior Handling at the BDC Open show 14/05/2011 Reply with quote

British Dalmatian Club
Single Breed Open Show
Saturday 14th May 2011

I would like to take this time to say thank you to the British Dalmatian Club for giving me the pleasure of judging junior handling. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. It was lovely to see such good sportsmanship between these handlers. I would also like to say Good luck to the handlers who qualified for Richmond 2011!

When judging junior handling I am looking for those handlers who show they are capable of taking any dog into the ring, be able to show that dog at its best and can cope with anything the judge or the dog throws at them. Most importantly, the handler and dog should work as part of a team, so that everything appears smooth and polished. Calm, confident and in control handling that is sympathetic to the dog and never distracts from the dog.

Junior Handling 6-11 (1/1)

1st Jaideen Cottee aged 11. Although standing alone today in her class, Jaideen showing a young Dalmatian, she gave a very good standard of handling. She was smartly dressed yet did not distract from her dog. She carried out the patterns I had asked her to correctly. And her presentation was good. Her shadow work was correct, although would benefit from more practice to now make it more smooth. She was polite and also it was nice to see a handler with a smile in the ring. Smiling, tells me you’re relaxed and that goes right down the lead. Jaideen could improve her overall performance by working on presenting the dogs teeth in a neater fashion and on tidier lead control when moving. In the challenge for Best Overall Handler, Jaideen was unfortunate to be met by a handler who was on top form that day. Overall a very promising Junior handler.

Junior Handling 12-16 (6/6)

1st and BJH, Sam Jennings aged 12. This young man was on top form and really impressed me, in a strong class of handlers. He is a very smart and sympathetic handler. He performed pattern work to a high standard with excellent lead changes, and never came between the dog and judge. Sam stood his dog correctly - exactly three paces away from me, and presented it beautifully. He uses the correct pace for his breed when moving and he also remembered to stand in line with the first dog in the line up. He has a natural ability to show his dog off without distracting from the dog’s performance in any way and today really got the best out of his dog. All these things made him stand out in this class. He did not put a single foot wrong. He was an absolute pleasure to judge and he fully deserved the Best overall Junior Handler award. I wish him all the best of luck for his future show career.
2nd Abbie Williams aged 13. A very neat handler. Abbie ran her dog at the correct pace, her pattern work was neat and her overall presentation was good. She also impressed me with her strong knowledge on points of a dog.
Her shadow work was correct as was her presentation standing and the presentation of teeth was also good. She also completed the run off with another handler competently, presenting her dog correctly at the end. I would like to see her relax a bit more as her nerves seemed to get the better of her today which showed with some fidgeting and too much moving about which at times resulted in distracting from the dog’s overall performance. Abbie is a good Junior handler and has all the groundwork needed, she just needs that extra confidence to produce a smooth and effortless performance.

3rd Alexandra Adderley aged 12. A very smart, flashy Junior handler. Alexandra had excellent lead control, she presented her dog well and she impressed me with how smooth her overall performance was. I had a very hard decision decided between my 2nd and 3rd as they both had the same potential and are both excellent handlers. The only thing that split my 2nd and 3rd today was the run off. Alexandra needs to practise on her run off’s to help her always know where to stand the dog, and what direction to face the dog, when returning to the judge.

Judge: Miss Katie South

http://www.zyworld.com/jabbawockdalmatians
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Juniors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: