British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mum-to-be off her food

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Breeding & Rearing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dalamanti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Mum-to-be off her food Reply with quote

Chelsea is due on 7th May, a week tomorrow. But this week she has gone right off her food, which for her is unheard of. I know they go off food when they're about to begin whelping, but considering that's not for a week I'm wondering why this might be?

She looks like she's trying to eat but really doesn't want it, like she knows babies want food but she doesn't.

I'm trying to give her more 'interesting' food and regular feeds instead of just the morning and evening feeds, the 'little and often' theory. She gets porridge around 9pm which she has been trying to eat, with more enthusiasm than her dog food I have to say.

Thanks. Counting the days til the new arrivals, no idea how many she's having yet!

Lisa.
Born to be owned by spotties.
Alnwick, Northumberland.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Maggi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she is expecting a large litter she may not have much room for food. About a week before whelping the puppies drop back ready for birth (you'll notice she changes shape) and often when that happens the bitch feels a little strange for a day or two and eats less. Continue with little and often, good quality food and light things like fish or chicken. Don't fuss too much unless she is being horribly sick or having diahorrea.

If you haven't already got her sleeping in her whelping box, do so now and get everything ready and in place for the birth (don't forget the brandy to steady YOUR nerves Laughing ). You don't want to be hunting round for the towels or the scales at the last minute. If she doesn't know where she's having the puppies she may be anxious about that, and keep any other pets away from the area so she can relax. It is not unusual for bitches to whelp early (first date count 63 days from first mating) so 2 or 3 days early nothing to worry about, have known healthy litter to be born 6 days early, so be prepared.

I think in her case probably puppies dropping is and little room is cause of reluctance to eat - especially as she obviously wants to. Keep her liquids up (watery tea with a litlle milk and honey is often very acceptable to pregnant ladies Laughing ) and make sure she can go out as often as she needs to. From now on, go out with her to make sure you don't have a surprise arrival on the lawn - at night take a torch and towel. Dalmatians don't read too well and they don't all do the textbook whelpings.

Make sure you know how to get hold of your vet out of hours in an emergency (it is good to at leat know if you need to go to another town if she whelps on a Sunday night).

Sorry if you already know all this, and hope you have a safe birth and beautiful litter.

Maggi xx
Dalamanti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maggi,

thanks so much for your help. She's been in her whelping box for about a month already as I didn't want her stressing mid pregnancy about sleeping in a strange bed.
I've just not experienced a bitch going off her food a week before whelping before, it's normally a day or two before so was just a bit concerned. She was sick on Tuesday but nothing since. She ate 3/4 of her tea last night, gave her some porridge this morning which she tried to eat, and had some. So she obviously wants to. She has changed shape, has dropped a bit and much rounder than before, so maybe as you say she has no room!

Thanks a lot for your advice, and please don't say sorry I like to hear everyone's thoughts.

Lisa.
Alnwick, Northumberland.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Maggi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lisa

Sounds as though the puppies dropped back Tuesday then. I've experienced several bitches of different breeds doing this. (In case anyone wonders whether I'm a puppy farmer Laughing I used to run kennels and provided a whelping service for other breeders so have seen LOTS of bitches whelp) In my experience the sicky bit is usually 6/7 days before the actual whelping so a few sleepless nights coming up in the coming week I think. When they can't eat much it seems to indicate a large litter (or a small bitch in first place) so will be interested to know the grand total. We'll all stand by our computer for a report from Monday onwards. Smile

Good luck

Maggi xx
Dalamanti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maggi,

Thanks again. I have no clue how many she will have as didn't get her scanned as they never seem to get it right anyway so I decided I'd rather just wait for the surprise!

I used my boy for Chelsea's first litter as he's 11 now so thought it might be his last litter. He sires good sized litters, average bing 8 although he has sired a litter of 12 and two litters of 11 with other previous bitches!

I wouldn't say Chelsea is the biggest of bitches but she is about mid height and size for a bitch I would say. I've got days booked off work ready for sleepless nights, and the bank holiday on Monday certainly helps.

I'll post regular updates on here this week!

Lisa. xx
Alnwick, Northumberland.
Dalamanti

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Still waiting Reply with quote

Just an update, Chelsea is still waiting for babies to arrive. Tomorrow is her due date and I'm pretty sure it'll happen tonight or tomorrow looking at her gradual drop in temperature over the last 24 hours.

She started eating a little at a time but is being very fussy what she eats. I even resorted to going to Sainsbury's and getting some salmon fillets and cooking it up with some rice, which she loved and ate the lot. Don't worry I went through it with a fine toothcomb to check for bones before giving it to her. What a spoilt girl she is, and Polo wasn't impressed as he didn't get any Rolling Eyes

Getting pretty anxious now and I have a feeling tonight will be a long one. Fortunately I have 9 days off work now to look after her and pups when they join us!
Alnwick, Northumberland.
Maggi

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck for tonight Lisa. Hope you've got a comfy campbed or mattress to put next to the whelping box!
Dalamanti

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay it's been a long weekend but I think today is going to be the day.
Chelsea was quite restless last night so I checked her every hour during the night. At 5am this morning her temp had dropped to 37.1 celcius and she was shivering a lot. No bed making or panting though, but I am thinking she will be on course to have them today.

I will update when I see puppies start appearing as I'm just going back to check her again, but she was trying to sleep when I was with her just now as she must be exhausted poor girl.

Lisa.
Alnwick, Northumberland.
Dalamanti

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 puppies! 8 boys and 2 girls. Surprised
Alnwick, Northumberland.
Flygirl

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful news! I hope Chelsea and puppies do really well.

www.elizabethsampsonpiano.co.uk
www.dalstorm.co.uk
www.nuadalseurope.co.uk
http://tyrodal-nuagene.blogspot.com/
Blodwen

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww, many congratulations Lisa to you and Chelsea - clever Mum! Hope the puppies are all thriving - good luck! Laughing
Dalamanti

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're doing superb, as is Chelsea. Had their vet check today and dew claws removed. The vet loved them so much I thought she was going to ask to buy one lol.
They've gained plenty of weight already and mum is loving them, so much so that I have to battle with her to come outside and have a wee. Bless her! Laughing
Alnwick, Northumberland.
Maggi

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to you all. Bet you were glad when they finally made their appearance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Breeding & Rearing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: