British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

first litter preparations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Breeding & Rearing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: first litter preparations Reply with quote

Hi all
Been a while since I posted on here but wanted to try and get peoples thoughts:

I am intending to mate my girl in her next season which should be due in April however her annual vaccination booster is due mid May.

So question is should I vaccinate before pregnancy as soon as she starts her season, before she starts her season, during pregnancy (as my Vets say they use the vaccine that is safe to use - tho doubt id want to test it!) or wait until after.

Amy
Jeangenie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is she, and is she due the full booster this year (usually only every 3 years) or just the lepto part?
jabbadal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally, the plan is to have a annual booster about 6 months before she would be whelping (not mating), this is thought to give her the best amount of antibodies to pass onto the puppies at that time, whilst reducing some of the risks of giving a vaccination just before mating. (Complications have occurred vaccinating so late, but it is rare.)

Personally, i would be wary of giving the booster just before mating etc, I would have thought, if you have had the full yearly booster each year, that she should be carrying enough antibodies to pass on to her pups and that mum should also be safe for the extra few months before she has her booster again.

I would however, have a good discussion with your vet about times etc and weigh up any pros and cons. New and better vaccines are coming out all the time and the vet should have the most up to date details.
do however try to get some more opinions from other breeders as some may have some personal experiences that may affect your decision.

I always time my boosters or choose the appropriate season, so that they are halfway through the booster time, but that's just me!!

http://www.zyworld.com/jabbawockdalmatians
coops555

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had the same problem and i decided to wait as the booster was due about a week after pups due so i spoke to a few people and all said the same wait till after the pups are weaned the get her done.
amy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys...

Think she is looking like coming into season so going to see if I can book her in to the vets on Tuesday for a chat about a few things and a check up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Breeding & Rearing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: