British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Line Breeding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Breeding & Rearing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nahatalie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Line Breeding Reply with quote

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help; I would like to more about line breeding in dogs. I've had a long discussion about it on a rat forum, and I wonder whether it's the same with dogs.

How often is it done with dogs? How close are the relatives? Are there any differences between breeds as to how it is done?

Thanks in advance. I'm interested to compare the ideas between rats and dogs, I wonder if it's the same with all domestic animals.
Nicki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm prpbably beeing an emptyhead at the mo but what is Line Breeding? Smile

Banjoliers PA & Faithful Follower
Jeangenie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Line breeding is the term used to describe a 'looser' form of inbreeding, rather than outcrossing, and is used by most 'proper' breeders. It's where more distantly-related animals are bred together (such as is allowable in human marriages) than the close inbreeding which would be forbidden for humans (although is natural for animals).

Line breeding tends to produce a litter of more uniform quality, rathr than the randomness of a total outcross.
nahatalie

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested to learn that in dogs it seems to be more distantly related animals put together. In rats it is very close, sibling to sibling, parent to offspring etc which I just can't get my head around to accepting.
Jeangenie

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KC has recently banned 1st-generation (siblings, parent/offspring etc) matings.
PyscoFalcon

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In hamsters and birds any form of line and inbreeding is actually frowend upon. In gerbils too. With hamsters it's due to Wet tail and Diabetes (dwarf hamsters) and Gerbils it's Tyzers disease.
Nicki

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why line breed dogs? would'nt that mean that any problems would be passed on to further generations however carefully done Shocked

It seems a bit worrying but I dont understand the maths (so to speak) behind it. Confused

Banjoliers PA & Faithful Follower
Jeangenie

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All dogs (or cats, or humans!) carry genetic 'issues' which they will pass to their offspring, even if the sire and dam are totally unrelated. There are more hereditary conditions in humans (probably the least inbred species on the planet) than there are in pedigree dogs!

Inbreeding and linebreeding don't create genetic problems - they're more likely (than outcrossing) to reveal problems which already exist in the background of the sire and dam. If you're aware of the existence of problems it's easier to breed away from them. In some ways outcrossing has a scattergun effect with 'problem' genes - you never know where they'll emerge.
PyscoFalcon

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about Humans been least inbreed - Roamns did it all the time!
fred22

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this was a cracking topic. I personally think that inbreeding is wrong and I feel it is exactly the sort of thing that makes none dog owners wonder what on earth is going on. We perhaps need to consider whats best for the dog rather than what produces a dog that can win a dog show.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Breeding & Rearing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: