British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any ideas on when dogs can start to breed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Breeding & Rearing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deebeenutz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Any ideas on when dogs can start to breed Reply with quote

I've been approached by a lady who has a 15 month old bitch who would like my 22 month old dog to breed from.
Is 15 months too young? Also, my dog has gaps in his teeth behind his canines. He has all his back teeth though. This does not affect his ability to eat, but I would imagine it would go against him if I were to show him. Not that I intend to, he was bought as a pet and that it what he is. If this lack of teeth is in his genes, I wonder if any of his pups would have missing teeth as well.
Also any ideas of the fee which I can expect? She did offer the pick of the litter, but I do not want another puppy, much as I love them. If I wanted another Dally, I would get a rescue dog.
Lots of questions I know, but I do not want to be party to a litter of unsaleable puppies.
Any ideas gratefully accepted.

Thanks, Dave & Dylan.
Elaine

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am by no means an expert having never bred dogs however after years of my parents breeding feel I am right in saying that a bitch should not be bred from until she is at least 2 years old. I know people do breed before then for whatever reason but I dont know anyone who has. As for your dogs teeth if you have a look on this website I am sure there is a diagram of a dal that you can highlight a certain area and it shows you exactly what a show dal should look like and it gives good diagrams of teeth and jaws etc. Hope this helps you make a decision.
Elaine

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi further to that the diagram can be found if you click on shows and then breed description.
Jeangenie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalmatian bitches should not be mated before their two years old, so yes, the bitch is too young.

Are both she and your boy BAER tested as having bilateral hearing? If not, they shouldn't be used for breeding.

Are both dog and bitch KC registered with no endorsements? Have either of them been independently assessed as being of suitable quality to breed from?

Having a litter is a great responsibility, and even the owner of the stud doghas a moral responsibility for the welfare of his dog's offspring all their lives long. Are you prepared for that? It's far from being a question of takingthe money and that's it finished.
gillieworm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what everyone has already said, especially highlighting a bitch of 15 months old is too young to breed from.

My personal opinion is if you bought this pup purely for the reason of having a great spotty pet, and was not intending to show or breed from the start, stick to this decision. Take the last litter that hit the news, if you had 18 pups that needed rehoming this can be very difficult for breeders not "known" in their breed. Breeders usually have a waiting list of puppy owners before mating. Plus if you have a litter of 18 pups, who all live say 12 years, are you in a position to take any of these in should their new owners need to re-home them for any reason?

In this economic climate I personally think it is a bad idea to start breeding, not just because people aren't buying puppies, but mainly because people are dumping dogs because they realise they can't afford the up keep of them at the moment. There are more dogs than ever in rescue at the moment, I personally would not want to add to that number.
deebeenutz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for taking the trouble to reply.
I think I knew my answer before I posted the question. My dog is ok for his hearing i.e. BAER tested, I don't know about the bitch.
I did think that she was no more than a puppy herself and as was said, I do not want to be responsible for my dogs puppies. I do consider myself to be a responsible owner and as such would not want to do anything that would cause harm or hardship to this beautiful breed.
Thanks once again, my answer will be know, and I will tell her tha reasons and hope noone else replied to her ad.

Dave & Dylan.
PyscoFalcon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also ask her if her dog's been tested for any disease she can pass on to your dog whilst mating. If not then you know what kind of breeder she is Sad

(both dogs should be tested before used for breeding)
Cathy@Kallistos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enquired about testing with 2 vets in my area and both said it isn't really done in this country, it's an 'American thing' but if I wanted my dogs tested they could do it but had no idea of cost????????

Also with breeding different people have different ideas, they say a bitch shouldn't mate till her 3rd season, which can = 18 months old, but a bitch shouldn't welp till she's 2yrs old.
I'm sure the KC registers litters of bitches under 2yrs but over 1yr, forgive me if I'm wrong but I am sure I have read that somewhere.
As with stud dogs some breeders use them as soon as they can 'reach'
mmm interesting lol and others say not until they are 2 yrs old.
Even vets have different views on ages etc....
gillieworm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right that the KC will register pups from a bitch under 2 years old but over 1. Most breed clubs code of ethics state that a bitch should not be earlier than 2 which I wholeheartedly agree with, take my bitch for instance, she is currently in season so ready to have pups in body, but only being 1 years old she is by no means ready in mind, she is still very much a puppy herself.

I wish the KC would change their rules and not register litters until 2 years old, but their are breeds like the toy breeds that mature much quicker so maybe before 2 years old is more acceptable in those cases, although I'm sure they could make it a breed specific rule. Granted it won't stop everyone, but it certainly would stop some people!
Maggi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some breeds of dog (toys breeds for example) are fully mature at 1 year old so having a litter would not be out of the question, hence why the KC will register puppies. Dalmatians take a long time to mature so the 2 years in our Code of Conduct is to make sure the bitch is prepared both mentally and physically to have a litter. There is no rush. Medically the bitch would come to no harm if mated on third or even second season, but the Code of Conduct is a moral one, designed to prevent dogs from being overbred from and abused.

With male dogs it is usual to allow them to mate for the first time at around 12 - 18 months old and it is better to use them for the first time on a bitch who has already had a litter. Two novices (or 3 if you count the owner Laughing ) may not have a clue and if a maiden bitch is nervous and therefore aggresive she may put the dog off the idea all together. So an older more experienced lady is just the ticket Very Happy
Dalregis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Age of bitch Reply with quote

The breed clubs have the requirement that a bitch shouldn't whelp before her 2nd birthday.
Another point to be considered is to check that there are no endorsements on the bitches ( and stud dogs) registrations before going ahead. Most responsible breeders automatically have the whole litter endorsed and only lift an endorsement if a new owner is aware of the resonsiblities of having a litter.
Pat
Deovolante

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a stud dog owner myself I can tell you there is a lot more to it than just a mating or two.
Firstly it is very important to know why this person wants to breed with such a young bitch, is it a money making situation? The very fact that she doesn't want to pay a stud fee but has offered a puppy (which you may not want) makes me suspicious. Lot's of people have already mentioned about hearing tests and has the bitch been tested. You have to ask yourself why this person has not contacted one of the breed clubs to find a stud dog, or even a call to the Kennel Club will give the relevant telephone numbers.
Do you really want your dog to be used at stud? Do you know anything about it?
When anyone contacts me, they have to initially produce the pedigree, the hearing certificate, the registration document before I will even go any further. I then always have a long talk with them as to the reasons they are having a litter, do they work? are they going to be able to cope, where will they have the litter - in the house - in a kennel, what chances to they have for prospective homes for the puppies, remember Dalmatians can have very large litters, if there are twelve or so puppies could be hard to find homes for them in this present economic situation. I always say to them it is eight weeks care and time out of their life, are they prepared for the work involved.
There can be large costs involved, the stud fee which can be around 500/600, what if the bitch needs a c section.
I always get them to sign a contract where I stipulate various requirements, but it is not always possible to get people to adhear to the conditions once the puppies are born.
I always go to see the litter at around three/four weeks and again at around seven weeks if possible to give any help and advice, make sure the puppies are looking a good size for their age - advice however politely given is not always well received!

A lot to think about!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Breeding & Rearing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: