British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Urgent info, choosing puppies! In Czech Republic!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prahalady

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Urgent info, choosing puppies! In Czech Republic!! Reply with quote

Hello,

I am in Prague, Czech Republic. Im a UK expat from Northumberland.

We are going to look at some Dalmation puppies tonight. They are from experienced owners. The puppies are from Dalmation championship stock . Also previous puppies have all been healthy and hearing tests fine.

What do I need to look out for. I am completly new to Dalmation dogs. We are in process of purchasing rural property with land. So excercise and care will not be a problem.

I know about the hearing test, (previous puppies hearing all been fine)and the dogs are getting tested on week 6/7 before new owners receive them. Also vacination and worming etc will be done.

I also know to ask about kidney, urate stones .

The puppies are male and have black spots. (litter was 1 girl and 3 boys)

Eyes what do I need to look for

Spots what should I look for? Do all spots need to be black?

Anything medical I need to ask about the dogs family history?

I am not sure about entering the dog for competition, but will be seeking training etc for the dog. I have a friend who has competition dogs (not dalmation) who has offered to help with training.

Here is information of parents but I dont know what this all means!

Sire: Checkpoint Bravo's Amadeus

(s: ICh. Busby's Freschman , d: ICh. Marta von Schönhagen)
CAC, V1, 2xV2, V3, V4
brown spotted, complete dentition, hearing BAER bil+, HD 0

Dam: Ch. Diamond Lily Raul (Mondy)
Czech Champion, Slovak Champion, Czech Junior Champion,
Young Champion of Czech Dalmatian Club
black spotted, Czech Dalmatian Club quality code A/5
complete dentition, hearing BAER bil+

Any input appreciated.

The owner speaks English, and has offered help and advice on care and information on breed.

Prahalady
sweetveronica

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, welcome to the forum!

OK, if you are having a black spotted dog, then all spots do need to be black if you wish to show him, if it is a liver spotted then they all need to be brown.

As for the eyes, they will be blue as puppies (although they should change to brown in a matter of weeks I believe, so it depends on how old the pups are that you're going to see). If you can see the mother and father, check that neither of them have blue eyes, as this is a fault.

There should be no patching of spots, and they should be evenly distributed around the body, they should not be too heavily marked.

I hope that is of a little bit of help....
Good luck!

Lorna.
shandrydan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, although it says they have complete dentition, I'd also check the bite. Lift their lip and see if the front teeth meet. They should overlap as close as a pair of scissors.
You could also do normal checks for temperaments eg. on the floor, turn the puppy over so his legs are waving in the air and hold him there - how soon he 'submits' gives you a clue to how dominant/high energy he'll be - nothing to do with his Dalmatianness, but its worth knowing, because it will affect how easy/hard he is to train. My Ed would probably still be kicking and squirming 10 minutes later.... but I wouldn't change him, at least not for another dog Laughing

Hope that's a help.

Barbara Clarke
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: