British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlieboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Advice Reply with quote

First I would like to start off by saying hi to everyone Smile my name is Lisa I am 29yrs old and I am fron Nottingham U.K I have a 1yr old male dalmatian named Charlie he is black spotted.

I wanted to ask for some advice on a problem I have with him, when out walking with him he will stop half way and do a solid poo then after a little while he stops again and this time his poo turns into Diarrohea is this a common problem or should I have him checked out by the Vets ?

It is very embarrassing because I cannot clean it up at all and am hoping there is a cure or solution for this.

Any help would be most appreciated. He only does this when he goes for walks.

Lisa
Ribblehill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Advice Reply with quote

Morning Charlieboy

Nice to have you on board. May i suggest that you take the time to read the many posts on the pages of the Health Forum, some of which cover the problem of loose stools. Also dietary advice, feeding guides. Very useful!

My advice in the first instance is to obtain a sample of the pooh and have the vet analyse it (a smelly slimy job, yuck!). If you can get hold of a stool sample jar, it will have it's own built in scoop, which makes collection easy. Or resort to a teaspoon and a small freezer bag or boiled washed jar of small dimentions! This will assist in the identification of of infection, infestation or disease and indicate which treatment to prescribe.

Please let us know how you get on with your young man?
tigerlily

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Toilet Reply with quote

Hi Charlieboy My Dally Coco used to do the same but not anymore, she used to have weetabix with milk in the morning but now i have stopped it she is fine, i think it must have been the milk but if you dont give him milk then i would get it checked out. Oh and welcome to you both
Charlieboy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your advice.

Yeah I do feed him milk in the morning, I can't think that it will be his food because he's been on supadog since he was a baby, the breeder we got him from use's that and gave us a bag of it when we got him. hes just gone to a different bag of it for adults. Its really strange because he doesn't ever do loos poo in the garden at all only when he goes for a walk.

maybe I will consider asking the vets and get a poo sample bottle from them.

All you help as been good to me.
dillydally

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The same sort of thing happens to Dylan when he has a walk. The first one is fine and easy to pick up, the next always quite loose and a struggle to pick up while the third is just a small puddle. I always assumed it was due to exercise??

The only problem I have is stressing in case I run out of doggy doo bags before we get home!
Charlieboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Lynne and dylan

Did you go to the vets and ask what could cause the problem for him to do that, and did it only happen when on walks and not in the garden.

I haven't been in touch with the vets yet to see if its a problem or not.My husband keeps saying theres's nothing wrong with charlie he's just getting it all out of his system but I don't think it is that at all.

From Lisa & Charlie
dillydally

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lisa and Charlie,

No I never took him to a vet as I didnt see it as a problem. He is never ill and everything is fine when he does it in the garden. I do seem to remember reading about this somewhere on this site but dont ask me where, it could take some finding. It did put my mind at rest though at the time as I did think it was a bit odd. Honestly I wouldnt worry about it if Charlie seems ok as Dylan is 2 now and it happens everytime he exercises. Read up through past topics when you get the time and check with the experts on here before you shell out on vets fees.
Good luck!
Charlieboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lynee & Dylan

I will do that have a look in the health section on this forum when I get some spare time. He is fine not thing else wrong with him. I just worry over things.

Lisa
Tafuta Oh So Quiet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takara does this! It's so irritating and embarassing!

I must admit though, since we changed her onto James Wellbeloved they've been a heck o a lot better!

She used to be on proplan which the breeder gave us, but as good as different foods are for some dogs, others can't tolerate it as well.

Don't be too scared to change diets, we experimented (with as little upheaval as possible) with Takara's diet until we found one we liked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jabbadal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as your boy's 'normal' faeces is of the right consistancy, I would not worry about it gradually getting looser when on a walk (as long as the next motion after the walk is fine)
Exercise will naturally encourage bowel movement, combined with this, is the natural instinct to mark territory or leave calling cards which include faeces as well as the many urine markings.

Because the first movement has been sat in the bowel for the normal amount of time, it is the normal consistancy (and the one to judge his health on). Others passed whilst on the same walk become less and less solid as they are being pushed out without waiting the normal time (for the pressure to tell the dog it needs to go).

When a dog has been toilet trained, not to go in the house, most dogs will take advantage of being out on a walk to go as much as possible. Particularly if taken for a walk at the same time every day.

If all his normal motions are fine and normal, I would not consider it necessary to change his food. Much better to consider his general health, such as coat condition, energy, bright eyes etc, when thinking about changing food.

Hope this is of help,

Jabbadal

http://www.zyworld.com/jabbawockdalmatians
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: