British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi from South Cumbria!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Hi from South Cumbria! Reply with quote

Hi, my name is Iain, married to Liz and have two Liver bitches, Millie & Amber who are sisters from the same litter and are around 15 weeks old.
Can we have some advice please?
We are walking them twice a day for around 45 mins. a time. is this too much at their age? They seem quite happy with their time out but are fairly tired once home? Our previous dogs were a Samoyd and Westie who are sadly no longer with us.
Also, we have never had bitches before and have not experienced lawn burn to quite this level!! Is there any truth in tomato juice over food helping with this problem, and if so is it safe to give to Dals?
Hope u can help.
jabbadal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: New puppies Reply with quote

Hi Iain,

Welcome to the world of Dalmatians!!! Very Happy

I would consider that 45 mins of walking at this early age, too much.
At the moment your puppies' bones and growth plates are still soft and forming. It is usually recommended that road work isn't started until at least 5 months old.
There isn't any harm in taking the pupies out on the road for a very short amount of time, just to get them used to traffic and to learn new experiences, but playing in the garden at home with each other and playing games with you, should be plenty of exercise at this age. Plenty of time to sleep at this time is very important. The puppies have a huge amount of growing to do at this age, and extra stress should not be put on the bones/joints etc.
Once the puppies are old enough, gradually increase the amount of both road walking and free running. You will find once they are fully mature that as long as they are both healthy, that they will 'go all day', if you have the time!! Wink
There are several good books on Dalmatians that may be of use to you. I found 'Dalmatians Today' written by Patches Silverstone, extremely helpful. Plenty of advice from bringing your puppy home, right through to adulthood.
I can't comment on the Tomato ketchup, as I haven't tried it personally, but seeming as it is full of sugar and also is naturally high in acid, I'm not sure how it will agree with a young tummy!!
Maybe it's possible to seperate some of your garden for the puppies, so you can keep the other bit, neat and tidy. You may find they start to dig as well, as some Dalmatians love to do this, while others never bother.

The very best of luck with your new puppies,
Laughing
I hope this was of help to you.

Jabbadal

http://www.zyworld.com/jabbawockdalmatians
ascottie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Puppy exercise Reply with quote

Hi Iain.

Glad you picked Dallies as your next breed of dog!
Excellent advice above, and Patches book is great for advice too.
Our dally when he was a puppy was walked for about 20 minutes max a day until he was about 5 months old. This was very gradually increased so that when he was a year old it was a total of about an hour or so a day (two shorter walks each day). At the age of about 14 months he could go and go forever so we have increased it to what is his normal routine of about an hour and half / 2 hours a day twice a day. This is 30 minutes in the morning and and hour / hour and a half in the evening.
Don't get me wrong though, if occasionally he only gets a walk once a day for 40 minutes he is still fine (but expect to play more at home!)

No doubt you will have your work cut out anyway with two dogs from the same litter but at least they can tire one another out at home!!

Anne-Marie
Iain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Puppy exercise Reply with quote

Thanks to Jabbadal and Anne-Marie for your advice, sounds like we have been doing too much too soon! Will cut back as advised.
Hope I'm entering this up correctly as I'm new to using forums as well!!!!
Anne Dickens

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Tomato juice Reply with quote

Hi Iain

I have a bitch so know what you mean about the grass (but my garden's not precious enough for me to experiment with solutions!).

However, I've heard that plain tomato juice (not ketchup - I think Lou probably misheard you!) can help, though comments about young tummies might still apply. I would have thought unadulterated tomato juice in small quantities was pretty innocuous though?

There are also commercial products available - both food additives and stuff to sprinkle on the patches (if that's practical for you?) - though I don't know the name of any I'm afraid.

It's worth a search in the Internet. I'd just be careful whilst they're still young.

Best of luck with your girls - and your garden Smile

Anne
bryedal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Lawn burns Reply with quote

Hi
Someone told us to keep a watering can full and use it to dilute the urine when the girls have peed. Also, don't cut your grass quite so short Cool
Liz
Winflash

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Iain

I have walked all my dogs from their second injections onwards for about a hour a day. They do about 30 mins road work and the rest free running BUT I know that a lot of people think it ruins their movement and it is too much to do this. I disagree because all my dogs are excellent movers. My good friend who has guided me throughout has always excercised hers like this and has found no bad affect neither have I and have had various breeds. My boy was less active than the girls and still is so we never took him so far in fact for a dalmatian he is quite lazy and is not fussed whether he goes out or not Shocked The one side effect is that I have found it difficult to keep the weight on them when you excercise a lot so it is all swings and roundabouts.

If its any consultation I suffer tree burn where Thomas wees up the tree. I have now bought him his own special tree to piddle on to his hearts content and it keeps him happy. With 4 spotties and one Jack Russell and 3 kids our lawn is always awful Wink

Just follow your instincts thats what we tend to do.

Karen
Iain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Walking & Lawn Burn Reply with quote

Anne, Liz & Karen,
Thanks for your replies. Having never used a forum before it's a great way to communicate and seek advice.
We have decided to cut down the walking a bit. Have just got them a harness rather than just using a lead. They are instantly walking better with them.
We are altering the garden to have a pee free zone-in theory! The person who comes up with wee resistant grass will have it made!
Next stop puppy school!
jabbadal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Puppy school Reply with quote

Hi Iain,

Let us know how you get on.
It's great to hear about new puppies!!! Laughing

Glad to hear the forum is working well for you.
There are so many members that somebody will usually be able to help any queries, and it's great to chat with fellow Dalmatian lovers!!

Jabbadal

http://www.zyworld.com/jabbawockdalmatians
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: