British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Carriage Dog Trials - opportunity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Midlands
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anne Dickens

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Carriage Dog Trials - opportunity Reply with quote

Not sure of Nottingham is Midlands ??!! but in any event, here is a message Chris Cleland posted on Dalnet.....

"There is a great opportunity for someone in the Retford, Notts area to train their Dalmatian to run with a carriage with the possibility of taking part in the Carriage Dog Trials. We have a carriage driver ready and waiting for someone to accompany her on drives.

If you have an interest in doing this please don't be deterred by you or your dog not being used to horses or carriages it really doesn't matter. I was so nervous when I first started training with Fonzi, but I came to really love being on the back of the carriage and taking part in the CDT and Fonzi achieving his Bronze award was the most wonderful feeling.

The instinct was certainly there with Fonzi right from the start, and we trained for a long while with him on a six foot lead, then eventually when on a narrow bridle path tried him off the lead and to my delight it worked and he stayed with the carriage. Your dog only needs to know some basic obedience commands and you don't need to be super fit or anything but just hang on at the back, the driver does all the hard work!!

Those of you who are members of the British Carriage Dog Society and get the Trailblazers newsletter will already know about this but if anyone is interested please contact me and I will be glad to pass on the details, my phone number is 01323 833732.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Chris Cleland"

I too have competed for three years in a row without having my own horse and with very limited prior practice (and in the case of the carriage work, just a couple of drives out!). So as Chris said, it is possible to compete without your own horse and without prior knowledge of horses and it's a thrilling experience. I do hope someone in the area will take up this offer, as the opportunity of going out regularly with their Dalmatian doing one of the things they were bred to do shouldn't be passed up!

Anne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Midlands All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: