British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Toilet training help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotty_Lover

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Toilet training help! Reply with quote

Hi guys can anyone give me some solid - has to work advice as to toilet training please? Our pup will be crated and we were wondering how to toilet train and when letting him out throughout the night howling and things any advice would be greatly appreciated.
T.P

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a pup you will find he will go a toilet after he eats could be 2 minutes to 10min you will have to watch him then when you know you can take him out side and give him loads of praise
Jeangenie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use puppy pads - they teach the puppy that it's okay to toilet indoors, which isn't the message you want him to learn!

Watch him all the time when he's awake, so you learn to recognise the signs that he needs to toilet; sniffing the ground and trotting in little agitated circles is quite common. Then you can call him outside with youand stay with him until he's relieved himself. Then lots of praise!

He'll need to toilet after every meal (4 meals a day till he's 12 weeks old), after every play session, after every sleep and at least once an hour throughout the day.

There's no substitute for vigilance on the part of the owner, and preventing 'mistakes' happening in the first place.
ZingDog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the don't use puppy pads. As well as letting them go in the house you also have to train them twice-first to use the pad then to transfer that skill to the grass outside. Much easier in the long run to take them out.

I found the bulk of my success came from praising her for going outside. She came from a farm and they had an outdoor run so she was used too going on grass it seemed. I caught her in the act a few times and a light light little tap under the chin then run the dog immediately outside. Even if they are done it helps them make the connection. Timing is key and praising the wanted behaviour right away is important so they know what you expect of them.

Likely be till at least the 8-9 month mark before they can hold it for long periods so there will be some accidents due to weak bladder. I wouldn't worry too much. Mine is just over two years now and when I come home from work I leave the door to the yard open but she'll take several minutes to try and play with me before she goes out. She has an accident maybe every 6 months these days. My last one was the same way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: