British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum
 
AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recall good, but sometimes runs in the wrong direction

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Jacko1505



Joined: 12 Mar 2016
Posts: 1
Location: Hull, England

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Recall good, but sometimes runs in the wrong direction Reply with quote

Hi all,
I'm new to the group and we have a 7 mth old bitch called Ruby. Her recall to her name and the dog whistle is good for about 85% of the time, the other 15%? well she has her stubborn head on, but does come eventually.

My problem is that occasionally when I blow the whistle, I can see that she's heard it but then she responds by running in the wrong direction. Clearly it's where she thinks I am. Up to now, she has always fathomed it out and finds me. My concern is that one day she may just keep running in an attempt to locate the whistle.

Any advice/solution is appreciated.
Thanks.
Keith.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chris W



Joined: 29 Dec 2012
Posts: 140
Location: Western ,Canada

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would be that Ruby is deaf in one ear.I have one that has unilateral hearing and he will do the same thing .Back ground noise such as wind or traffic makes it more difficult for them to hear the direction you are calling from .I try to always keep him in sight (if I can see him he can see me )and call him fairly frequently so he knows my direction of travel. It is a concern and he has given me a bit of a scare a couple of time by running in the wrong direction.We do a lot of off leash walking but I am always super cautious with him.
_________________
Chris , Isabelle and Jasper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZingDog



Joined: 20 May 2015
Posts: 20
Location: Maple, ON, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with a long lead (drag line) to train for off leash. Mine was 50ft, I'd recommend one that long at least. Training free from distractions and working on engagement is good for building and maintaining a bond with your dog overall. It makes You more interesting to your dog and recall is easier (hearing issues aside). Constantly rewarding the dog for coming back whether recalled or simply on their own will increase the odds of your dog checking in with you.

I also played the 180 game on the long line allowing the dog to get ahead of me at least a dozen feet then changing direction and tug on the leash to get the dog to follow not popping the leash to correct the dog, just add tension to pressure the dog into a direction change. I've done this several ways, completely silent, with food, toy or verbal rewards.

Again the hearing issue is another matter, just to be clear. As stated in the post above if the dog can see you it solves problems and if the dog is actually looking for you (engagement) it's easier to recall from distractions.
_________________
Steve (Owner) & Misa (Boss)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group