British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prospective New Owner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shaunkc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Prospective New Owner Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Me, my wife and 2 girls (6 & 9) have been talking about getting a dog for quite some time now, after much research we decided we would really like a dalmatian however it was never practical as both my wife and me worked full time. My wife has since reduced her hours considerably and we are now seriously considering getting a dalmatian pup.

The only thing stopping us is that due to my work shift pattern, it would mean that the pup would be left on it's own for 9 hours a day, 3 times per week (at a push I could get the mother-in-law to let the dog out for half an hour during these times) - obviously after much research I know the needs of a dalmatian pup are quite extensive.

In your opinion do we spend too long out of the house for a dalmatian pup or indeed any puppy?

Thanks in advance Smile
Jeangenie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! You're being very sensible thinking of these things in advance. Smile Basically, no puppy should be left alone for more than 2 hours at a time, maximum, and no housetrained dog should be left for longer than you yourelf can last without needing to use the toilet. So as you fear, thoe working hours really preclude you having a puppy, but if you could guarantee that someone could come in at least once during that time to take the dog out for an hour or so, you might be suitable for a rescue dog.
Ilse23

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think his should not be a problem. Start off with planning a week or 2 to stay home with the puppy.
Then afterwards, you could go to work and plan for someone to le the pup out 2 3 times a day for half an hour.

Or a dogsitting service might be able to help you out.

When a dalmatian is older than 6 months, they are perfectly able to stay at home for 9 hours (if your spend a lot of time on learning how to stay alone at home).
You might then make a place in your house with a dog door, so he or she can go outside when needed.

My both dalmatians are now 12 and 7. My male was a puppy of 8 weeks, my mother or father came over 2 or 3 times a day to let him out.
Every problem has a solution... if you want to
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: