British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Could a 20 month old Dalmatian cope with walking 120 miles?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Health Matters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheoDog

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Could a 20 month old Dalmatian cope with walking 120 miles? Reply with quote

I am planning on doing a charity walk of 120 miles with my Dalmatian pup Theo, he is only 8 months old right now but I am planning on gradually training him over the next 12 months to do a cross country walk for charity, and I want to know whether his breed will physically be able to cope with the distance with proper training? also any hints and tips on walking long distances with dogs
Jeangenie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fit, adult dalmatian will be able to walk all day with you, on the right surface. (Tarmac is a bugger for wearing pads to ribbons.) But you don't want to start the fitness training too soon, before he's fully grown. When he's about a year old he should be fine with walks of three-quarters of an hour to an hour, so about 3 to 4 miles at a good pace. What distance are you planning for each day, on what surface, and how old will he be then?

Remember that this breed was designed to trot about 20 to 30 miles in a day accompanying a carriage; they should have plenty of stamina.
Maggi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he'd be fine. As Jeangenie said you need to build it up slowly. I joned a walking club in the French mountain with Caper when he was 10 months old and he regularly walked up to 25 km in the mountains with no signs of tiredness.

We need to know all about this walk! Dalmatian people are very generous so once you have all the details an attractive picture of Theo should ensure sponsorship!!
Sumer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, Have many dal owners had to deal with their beloved pooches getting dilated cardiomyopathy/ heart disease?

nemo was diagnosed last month after a bout of wheezing & coughing that wouldn't go away. He's stable on Pimobendan & the diuretic Furesomide.

the only issue we're having is his lack of appetite which could be down to many things, the meds included. Vet appt is next week, but we are also getting a 2nd opinion.

he is now able to go on short walks of about 30 -40mins and his day is miserable (according to him) without them, and despite not being allowed to get excited he LOVES seeing people.

As well as the conventional medication he is on co-Q10, Hawthorn berry capsules, vitamin e. L-Carnitine is on the rosta but he's not great at taking this.
Chris W

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Summer ,sorry to hear you are having this problem .You might want to repost this as a new topic in the"Health " forum.I`m sure there are people here that have encountered this but your post is hidden under another topic so they may not see it .Also you might like to try joining FB "Dalmatian Lovers "and asking there . I have seen some good info on heath problems there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Health Matters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: