British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Its finally happening!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maggi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very exciting getting your pup. You can take him/her out and about carrying them. I find a trip down to the paper shop in my arms usually results in lots of admiration and stroking. Little trips out in the car are good too. Wouldn't mind betting that as soon as you have the pup you meet another dog owner locally - if so you could arrange a play date in your garden or theirs. There is loads of stuff you can do before the big first walk. Oh, and don't forget to get used to walking on lead in the garden before you tackle! the big wide world
MJ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little update.
I now know which puppy I'm getting and its a little boy!!
After always wanting a little girl, this boy totally blew me away with cuteness!
He was the most spotty pup in the litter which I love!

Now need to decide on a name and start buying stuff.

Picking him up a week tomorrow (Thursday). I'm so so excited my dream has finally came true.

I have spoken with the vet who seems lovely. So will get him a wee check up to meet her and book in for jabs.

I keep thinking to myself while watching the TV or doing something.... "what/where will the pup be doing when I'm doing this" Cant decide if I should let him on the couch or not coz I want cuddles but don't want a smelly hairy couch either lol!

Cant wait to get started on the training. I have 3 weeks off work so all my time will be devoted to him during that time.

Couple of questions......
What treats do you give a 7 week old puppy whilst training?

Any recommendation for the first night? Tough love or gradually let him be alone. He will be sleeping in our 3rd bedroom which is downstairs being used as a games room. There is a sofa bed in there so can easily sleep in there for a few nights.

Toys? Been looking at the kong toys however not sure on which size to get. The puppy one seems very very small and I'd imagine he will grow out of it quickly! Also tennis balls? I'm very keen to train him to fetch and retrieve and plan to do this in the house and garden. Are they safe? I know not to use the ones from the pound shop, are the kong ones ok?

Also is the garden ok for him before having his jabs? Am I just being too paranoid? There haven't been any dogs in the garden, however we do get squirrels and probably foxes.

Sorry for the HUGE post.
I am having mega lazy days at the moment, relaxing and chilling out knowing that in a weeks time itll all completely change! (for the best of course...... Rolling Eyes )

Anyway,
I shall post some pics of the wee yin when I figure out how to go about doing that.

MJ x
Leesey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Garden will be fine, unsure on tennis balls daisy our dalmatian was never interested in them when she was younger and now she is only interested in them when she is in the Garden!
We went for the tough love approach and it seems to have worked well for our dal, that being said now she is older (now 3 and a half) she now sleeps in our room in her bed at the bottom of our with us and our newborn child. (she would sleep in with our other 2 children if she could but she is not allowed!

I remember before we got Daisy i was asking all of the same questions and we are down on a list for another puppy which is due to be born in December and i can't wait!

Oh and pictures are a must as we all like them.

Jon
Jeangenie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, how exciting! He sounds lovely - have you decided on a name yet?

He'll be fine going in your garden before his jabs; his breeder has probably had him out in the garden every day anyway, and so he should be well on the way towards being housetrained.

Speaking as a soft-hearted breeder, if I knew that any of my babies was going to be abandoned alone at night in the strangeness of its new home to howl itself into an exhausted sleep I'd reconsider selling it to that person! However a warm bed (a cardboard box on its side so there is a roof to make it snug) with lots of bedding and a warm, well-covered hot water bottle for comfort, a full tummy and empty bladder and bowels usually means a puppy settles down happily anyway. But be prepared to get up to take him into the garden in the early hours when he wakes. Don't make a big fuss of him then, just take him out to toilet then pop him straight back into his (hopefully still warm!) bed to go back to sleep again. I found for the first couple of nights I had to sit on the floor in my dressing-gown till the puppy fell asleep on my lap and then I could pop her back into her bed before going back to bed myself.
MJ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We now finally have a name - Brodie!

Just booked our accommodation for an overnight the night before we get him.

Put a huge order into pet planet for a crate, bed for inside the crate, another bed for the livingroom, toys including the Kong tennis balls.

Went to pets at home too and have got some softer toys, and an antler for him to chew.

I bought nappy sacks instead of poo bags and got some cheap puppy pads (only 8 since I am being positive that I will have him house trained quickly... probably more wishful thinking)

Any other ideas on treats or chews?
I'm not keen on the rawhides and hear the pigs ears aren't very good.
I want something he can chew and really enjoy. Happy to go to the butchers to get things however I have no idea what to ask for.
Also treats, should I just use is normal dry food as treats for training? All the treats in the pet shop seem to be for 3 months and above.

Thanks
M
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: