British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello, some advice please :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brona

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Hello, some advice please :) Reply with quote

Hi, im Brona

I've been Dalamatian crazy for years and when I was 18 my Mum allowed me to finally get one. We got a gorgeous dog called Beau, unfortunately he was taken ill and had to be put to sleep. He was only 2 and a half and I have been left heartbroken. The vet said his issues were a result of bad breeding. When getting Beau I went to a IKC breeder but his paperwork never came despite ringing his breeder several times.

I am now looking for another pup as I have fallen deeper in love with this breed and wanted to know if anyone could help me with what to look for when buying a pup to try avoiding upset again?

Thanks for any help and advice that anyone can give me,
Brona
KissCass

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brona,

I can only suggest that your research your breeder very hard. Always see the puppy with its mother and preferably father. See where the puppies are being kept, how they are fed and looked after and what interaction they are getting. I appreciate that you are in Ireland but would recommend that people get from BDC members from the puppy list on here. Check the pedigree to make sure that there is not too much inbreeding and don't deal with a breeder who doesn't BAER test the litter. Never be scared to ask lots of questions and visit more than once. Any good breeder wants their pups to go to a good home and will be happy for you to ask as much as you like, especially if you explain about Beau. You may have to be prepared to travel doe the right dog. Hope this helps a bit.
Maggi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brona

Kisscass gives excellent advice and can I also suggest you contact the All Ireland Dalmatian Club for help and advice
http://www.allirelanddalmatianclub.org/

I have had dalmatians for over 25 years - if you want to have a chat pm me with your phone no (I get free calls to RoI !!) and you can ask as many questions as you like. I don't have puppies so completely unbiased advice.

Be prepared to travel to look at and then fetch a puppy and take your time to make sure that you get a happy healthy dog.

Good luck in your search.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: