British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello and advice please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClareW

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Hello and advice please Reply with quote

Hi. I've just got a 12 week old male pup called Bruno. We've had him a week now and he seems to be calming but any advice on the following would be great:
1. How to stop him nipping at my children. I've been working on them rewarding his good behaviour but it's still very hit and miss.
2. Digging up the garden
I still have over 2 weeks before I can walk him as we had to start again with his injections.
Any advice would be great . Thanks Clare
Spotalot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Clare and Bruno and welcome.
There is a great article by Ian Dunbar called
"The bite stops here" link below which if followed by everyone in thr family will work very well.
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=64170.0;wap2

Dally pups are like little crocodiles but they need to learn to use their mouths softly.
He will naturally seek out the children for rough play as he will see them as he did his litter mates.
Don't be tempted to smack Bruno as that will make him worse. They also tend to be worse when, overtired, over excited or hungry.
At 12 weeks he will need a lot of sleep, broken by lots of short play or training sessions.
If the children are old enough they can help to teach him the basics, like sit, down, off (when he jumps up) all rewarded with tiny cubes of cheese , apple or carrot as treats.

As for digging the garden its the same as children really, just keep saying no when caught in the act and distract him with a toy or game that he is allowed....all training is very repetative, but if you are consistent and determined he will get there eventually.

some people use a puppy pen or fence of part of the garden.
Also beware a lot of garden plants and bulbs are poisonous to dogs, you can find a list on google.

Good luck x
He will need a quiet place of his own to sleep or have time out if he is over tired.
( just like toddlers they don't know when they need a nap)
An indoor crate in a quiet room and covered with a sheet is ideal.

Don't let tge children play too roughly with him, or too many tugging games that will excite
Him.
ClareW

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks so much, what an interesting read has really made me think about how we've been approaching it Confused

The last day has been quite successful my 10 year old can now get Bruno to sit and he only seems to want to bite his feet when he has socks on!! But after just reading that article i'm going to try things differently.

We have also just introduced a kong toy which meant that we were able to eat dinner without him jumping up as he was so engrosed in the kong Very Happy

Thanks again for your advice

Clare & Bruno
Maggi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome. That article is really wise advice and everything Spotalot says is good sense.

You can spend a bit of time training Bruno until he can go out. Practise fun recalls, sitting, lying down, walking round garden on his lead and standing to be brushed. All good practice for when he goes out in the big wide world. Make sure you supervise - don't overdo it and don't let the kids drag him about or tease him. Fetch games are btter than tugging as adult dalmatians are too strong to play tug with children. You can also start him searching for his toys in the garden and generally develop his intelligence. that'll wear him out nicely!
ClareW

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks for all the advice, we've just been on hols for a week in a caravan and Bruno was great, he spent time with the kids and although he was biting them he seemed to know when it was hard enough and didn't hurt them. They did lots of game playing with him as well Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: