British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello to all!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Damo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Hello to all! Reply with quote

Hello all, just found this site, (from Dal Welfare site)

Great forum, been reading some posts in the general and the what they do threads, some very funny and also reassuring habits that im pleased to now go ok, it's not my Dal is loopy...

all my life i have had GSD's

and we went to our local rescue shelter to look at a 10mnth old GSD called "Kevin" (i know) but he was a bit of a nightmare dog, didn't like cats small children or tall men, (im 6ft'3)

So as we were mooching about the shelter we "spotted" a Dal / Pointer X

MARLIN

hmmm, 3yrs old, 2 owners, likes cats .

Hmm ok he's got a handsome face, and he's a big doggie (im not a small doggie person, sorry for anyone who has, my mums had jack Russell's for years, my attitude is you go big or you go home when it comes to dogs Wink )

So out he comes from the shelter with the kennel assistant being dragged behind him. pretty much he walked out on two legs with his harness on, he was pulling THAT much!

the Mrs gulped and i could see her hesitation right away.

i on the other hand was intrigued by MARLIN.

this is a breed i had never really had much exposure too, Pointers a little bit more than Dal's

But after the month or so it took to get him home after a few socialization visits, and a crash course in devouring ANY Dal info i could find...

We brought him home Aug 3rd 2013, at 3yrs and 1month old.

He settled in right away, had some guarding issues with food to be expected form his time doing "porridge" and being a 2 timer locked up, he had learnt to be a guarder, no problems we did some Positive reinforcement training and we managed to get him to accept that we give out all the good scram, and we could put our hands down and take the bowl away and add more again very easily.

So he's basically a pup, i think im going to call him pup till he's very old as i can't believe how much of a clown this breed is, i mean it in such a lovely way too, they just grow into BIG puppies, with tail whips like a snapped elevator cable hitting you in the legs!

So we are almost at our 1year mark, and he's settled down much much more, he's got fear aggression, i know the breed is aloof with new people on 1st time meetings, but if it's a 1st time meet, and someone approached head on with the wet-fish hand extended, there's a 95% chance of a nip forthcoming. we manage people if we know they are coming round for the 1st time, we make them ignore the dog, and just chill out for 5mins, within that time he's had a sniff and he's happy, i will say hold your hand out flat palm up and he comes to them, on his own, he's fine.

So yes 1st time meets we have to be careful with, also, his socialization as a puppy was prob 0%,

We found out his 1st owners were a 2.4 child house hold, and i can imagine he just didnt get the time to get everything he needed. So his Introductions to other dogs can be a bit of a dilemma at times.

small dogs, he dominates, head over their backs or tries to get them to run

he loves whippets lurchers greyhounds anything that can MOVE!!

as he loves chase

if a dog doesn't run i.e. it's 15 and has arthritis he just barks at it, like it's going to change it's mind...

and GSD's and Rottweilers, yeah runs up to them all aggressive then gets put in his place, been some funny looks from him as he has a rottweilers paw on his back as he bit off more than he could chew, there's never been any violence and it's all just bull in a china shop attitude .. so far...

in order to avoid him making mistakes as im more concerned for my dog than anyone else.. i have gotten him a Muzzle for the time being when in the parks so he can walk off leash, it's a good muzzle a baserkville ultra Size 5. he can pant , drink, eat it's very durable rubber and makes him look like Hannibal lecture.. Wink

We have a dog trainer who's x-police dog instructor and former Street dog / explosive dog handler, he's very good, all Positive training methods, we have not hit Marlin once, we dont believe in hitting our animals...

On the beach, he's the best behaved dog for 10miles im sure of it.. i have the power... of the CHALK!

he's not a ball fetcher, not a Frisbee chaser, but grab a chunk of chalk and he's all over you.

i have had 5 dogs of different sizes from different owners all barking round him and me on the beach and he's just not interested, like he doesn't even acknowledge them, it's just me and the chalk,
throw the chalk
throw the chalk
throw it!!!!!

and then plays run parallel to breaking waves as tides coming in.

we live on the coast in Broadstairs, so there's plenty of beaches to walk him on.

Just invested in a Trixie Bike Bar for my push bike...

Marlin hated it at first, so i had to walk him and the bike side by side on the foot path for about 10mins , then i took him to the park and rode my bike with him off leash running about, safe to say you can instantly see their carriage dog breeding come through to the top, he runs and runs right next to me, zig zagging in and out of tree stumps or in front of the bike to change sides, or just run alongside.

he's more focused.. so after that i thought ok try him again and leash him to the bike, and hey presto like a duck to water he jogs along the side of the bike, i can be on the double yellows and him on the path, if i need to pop out into the road or get him off the path so we can go round people, he just follows i treat myself as a car when i have him attached and i have had no problems with him stopping with a whoa whoa whoa command he slows with the bike, and a loud LEEEEFFFFFT when i turn left as that's only time i can squelch the pup...

Next step would be to try him out at the stables, but .. not just yet i think Wink

So that's pretty much Marlin and Me

i did think about just wrtting a little but then it's easeir to just lay it all out i think and be done with it.

Yes i have a Clown with 4 legs for a companion, but man is he fun fun fun
and NOW i know what the term VELCRO DOG means!

gotta love em thou!

PS, final thing i swear..

the cats fine with him, the cat had to dog trained in 1 week...

raise a paw, dog backs away... Wink
until cats back is turned then it's cat bowl raiding time!

Gits!

Damo
Very Happy
KissCass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds as if he has plenty of dalmatian in him!

Would love to see a photograph?
Damo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]http://www.britishdalmatianclub.org.uk/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=2670[/img]
Damo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i give up, too much faffing about i'll just upload some to the albums...
Damo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have added a few to the Album Fun pictures
Gavin_and_Elaine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum sounds full of beans.

I also have a 'I don't chase balls' dog, however with Ballachs it's rabbits.

With ducks he is fine, in river with them etc, rabbits though now that he likes.

Have fun and keep some chalk handy.
Damo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i can imagine Rabbits LOL and they RUN FAST extra bonus, i dont think Marlin has yet seen a rabbit. plenty of squirrels though and they are #1 on his to do list!

can spend half his early morning park walk staring up a tree whinging about a squirrel ( that jumped a branch into the next set of trees like 10mins before that, and he hasn't noticed)
KissCass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a very handsome boy and just a tad cheeky looking. He's not spoiled at all then?
Ann99

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum! Marlin is gorgeous! Looks a very cheeky chap Laughing
Damo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, look forward to many years of advise and fun facts etc...

Yes he's "cheeky" to say the least...

Now has a thing for socks, more over my socks and my feet stink!
So he prefers a stinky sock... and i know when he's got one as i hear from the other room, "Oh dear god dog; you stink..."

Then he comes running back to me at my desk with the sock all proud...

Without doubt the most Fun breed of dog i have ever encountered. My old GSD's were dignified and reserved and kept their fun bottled up for the opening part of their walk, calming down as the mins went by , this guy is just either OFF or ON...
Nkosi-Kibibi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well sounds like you have yourself a ball of fun there and more spot than not, what a great write up for him.

All thats missing is the second one ........cos they are very addictive Very Happy
Damo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes well the Mrs is outnumbered at home now, 3 stinky boys she says,(there's a cat "Mavro" who thinks he's a dog in that mix too!) so i think we are feeling the need of a female presence to try and balance the house out Wink

im looking on the Dalli welfare site...

i know Kay would love a lady Dal to be nice and graceful with while the boys tear up the place they can go for sophisticated walks and ignore the rumpus going on. Plus i think a tiny bit smaller Dalli she would prefer, bless her... Marlin's floored her twice early days when we used to long line him, but .. that's 50/50 dogs fault and other part "someone" not paying attention to her posture... lucky it was on sand and grass both times, hehehehehe.. i laughed! it helped i swear!

Apart form the cost of food and vets bills (fingers crossed) the time and effort it takes is going to be one and the same, we have a dog... he needs walks, plenty of walks, we have time to train and spend time with our existing dog, by proxy we will with 2 dogs...

it's just trying to convince her it's a good idea!

Wink
sas1

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed reading your story, Marlin sounds fun Very Happy

They are definitely clowns Laughing
Spotalot

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome .
I must have missed your post before but what a lovely read.
Marlin sounds and looks lovely.
Daisys dog walking friend is an English Pointer and I always think how similar they are, although I wouldnt mind betting the nervousness comes from the pointer.
Look forward to hearing more about him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: