British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just to say hello and ask for advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrdarcy12

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Just to say hello and ask for advice Reply with quote

Hi I am the proud owner of a 2yrs 6 months Dalmatian called Mr Darcy, a 5yr old lab called Molly and a four year old labradoodle called Lucy.I rehomed Mr Darcy from his previous owners when he was 7 months old,he was one of those unfortunate free to a good home dogs on internet.After a very challenging year with him he finally settled and is the most amazing loving dog.I have two issues i would like advice with,he is neutered but I have noticed he has started growling at entire male dogs and playing a bit aggressively with them,some he is fine with but others he not keen on,what is the best way to handle this.Also i show him at companion shows and he does very well and we all have a great day out, however I have noticed the skin surrounding his spots is darkening although the hair itself is still white it started on his tummy and is spreading up his sides.It almost looks like a shadow on around his spots,he has not lost any hair,he has been checked by vet and she said not a health issue. any advice would be appreciated
Maggi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to you and your dogs. Only just noticed your post so apologies thta you didn't get a welcome sooner.

Mr D sounds as though he has grown up and is still trying to find his place in the world. Training should help him learn to behave around other dogs. We cannpt expect our dogs to like every other dog any more than we like everybody but they can learn to leave those they don't care for alone. If he starts to growl at another dog, call him away in a pleaseant tone of voice and remove him from the situation - do not allow it to excalate to aggressive play Taking him to training will teach him to focus on you and you can then control his interactions with other dogs.

The shadowing round his spots is common in some dalmatians and is probably because he is changing his coat. It may be the time of year and once he grows a new thicker winter coat it won't show so much.

Hope that helps - look forward to seeing some pics of your dogs.
Mrdarcy12

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Mr D Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply I will certainly try your advice,luckily his recall is excellent (most of the time lol) I take him to ring craft lessons most weeks and he is fine with other dogs there,would it be best to put him on his lead when i remove him from situation or just play ball with him which he loves. I think you are right he is just trying to be top dog.If another dog tells him off he runs and hides behind me so he really is just trying it on with other dogs.You may well be right about his coat i first noticed it on his tummy in the summer and it has spread to his flanks although not as ovbious as on his tummy. I show him at companion shows would this be classed as a fault, I will put pics on as soon as my daughter comes round to show me how to do it as not very computer savvy
Thank you for your advice
Regards
Karen
Maggi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he will come away without the lead then I'd just move on with the ball. If not attach him and move away and make it clear to him that he doesn't have to play with the other dog but growling etc is not acceptable.

At companion shows judges are more lenient so if he is otherwse in tip top condition I don't think a temporary lack of coat will penalise hm to much. If you want to speed up the coat growth try Mirracoat http://www.lawsonanimalfeeds.co.uk/coat-care/144-mirracoat.html
I've found it very helpful for dogs that are looking a bit shabby!
Spotalot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome.
Sorry I missed your post as well.
Pictures would be great.
You need to upload them to photobucket or image shack then copy the ' direct link'
And paste between the ' img' tab from above without any gaps.
You can then preview your post to see if its worked.
Ann99

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome! Laughing

Flekk does a bit of posturing around other dogs (Flekk is entire though) adn like Maggi says, I just call him away and dance around like a mad thing - to make myself more interesting to him! A ball or food also helps Laughing

Look forward to seeing some photos of Mr. Darcy Very Happy And your other dogs too!
Mrdarcy12

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will certainly try supplement you recommended,he is in good condtion now it took me ages to find a food that suited him and did not give him the runs and the worst wind i have ever encountered. I will also try removing him from situation when out with him at the weekend, I am on early shift this week so don't tend to bump into many other dog walkers in fields at 5.45am I feel like crazy dog woman out at that time.will also try putting photo of the terrible trio as they are affectionatley known
Mrdarcy12

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all your advice his coat has certainly has improved ,since I started him on the supplement suggested I have also tried your suggestions for dealing with him when he gets over excited while playing with other dogs and gets a bit aggressive and so far it seems to be working. There seems to be just one or two dogs he really does not like so i use distraction of ball to keep him focused on me until they have passed by, but most of the time he plays happily with other dogs. I was also wondering if anybody is going to the Boston canine Society show this Saturday at East of England show ground as I am hoping to go to have a look around because as much as I enjoy companion shows I would really like to get a puppy at some stage that I could show at the next level and thought it would be a good place to get an idea of how much practice I need and to get a few tips
Maggi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - I've been having problems accessing the forum - but I'm pretty sure I'll be going to Boston as a spectator this weekend. PM me a contact number and we cna meet up and I'll talk you through what is happening.
Maggi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's nice about this forum is you get to meet lovely people. I met up with Karen at Boston and had a nice time. Something tells me she has real dalmatian addiction and that Mr D will eb joined by a spotty friend sometime in the future!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: