British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

not sure if this is the right place to post . . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disconumber2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: not sure if this is the right place to post . . . . Reply with quote

However I was hoping some could give me some information on dog shows? How can you tell if your puppy is "show quality"? How would I go about entering shows? What sort of training should I be doing?
Any general info would be appreciated.

Natalie and Poella
Maggi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you bought your pup from a reputable breeder, they should be able to tell you if it is show standard. You need to read the breed standard and decide if your pup ahs any obvious faults (patched, blue eys, missing pigment) which may make her not show quality. If not perhaps the easiest way is to go along to a show or two and find out. You will need to take your dog to ringcraft classes - the KC can tell you where there are some locally or again your breeder or another owner in area may know.

If you want to show your dog you have to be prepared to work hard to train him, correct exercise, feeding etc and then you have to be able to afford it (trust me, it is a ridiculously expensive addictive hobby) and have the stamina for early starts, muddy fields, long jurneys and other delights!

Dog shows are advertised in the dog press Dog World and Our Dogs which are both weekly papers or you can enter on lie at http://www.dog.biz/ or
http://www.fossedata.co.uk/entries/

If it is any help, I am going to Huntingdon Open Show (which is being held at Bedford next weekend 23 Nov) and would be happy to meet you and explain what is going on (you can't bring Poella in as she isn't entered but she could come along for the ride and stay in the car) If you would like to do that contact me by pm and we'll arrange it. It's normally a nice show and there is usually a reasonable entry of dalmatians so you cna get the idea.

http://fossedata.co.uk/downloads/pdf/HUNT_NOV_13_Schedule.pdf (show details)
I'm hoping Ann99 might answer this question too as she has recently started showing - I've been doing it so long it is kind of second nature and it's easy to forget all the things

Hope that is some help
Ann99

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there - I've just started showing; well, it's actually been a year now - how time flies!! Smile

As Maggi says, it really is quite addictive Laughing And really quite expensive Sad

We were encouraged by Flekk's breeder to give it a go. I'd never even been to a dog show, previously, and had no idea what it involved. At our first show we just turned up (with no number clip and no show lead, because I didn't know what they were Laughing ). The breeders of both Flekk's dam and sire were there and they lent me a number clip and a show lead! We went in the ring and tried to copy what the others were doing. Needless to say, we came last Laughing It was only a small open show (I didn't know the difference then between 'Open' and 'Championship' shows) and the judge afterwards told the breeder that we needed to do some ringcraft - which I'd also never heard of!

With difficulty we found a local ringcraft place and duly went along every week. But it really wasn't very helpful for novices like us and thankfully, back in the spring, Maggi introduced me to Jabbadal at a show. Jabbadal is a fantastic trainer and we've learnt so much with her. If you're anywhere near Royal Wootton Bassett you should go to her!

At our first Championship show we were utterly clueless. I'm sure the lady I asked for help must have wondered what on earth we were doing there. Although I'd ordered a catalogue, I didn't know how to use one to find our bench and had to ask how to do that. It wasn't a particularly enjoyable day, one way and another, and rather put me off. But, I'd already entered another one, so we went along to it. At the next one I got chatting to one of the people in our class and he introduced me to other people and we had a wonderful day. And haven't looked back since! People are so friendly and willing to help.

As for whether a dog is 'show quality', well I'm only just beginning to learn what that might be. I would think Poella's breeder might be able to help you there.

My advice would be to give it a go. Study the other dogs at a show and learn all you can about Dalmatians. Read the Breed Standard (under Shows>Breed Description) and if Poella doesn't have any of the faults listed, then go for it!
disconumber2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggi and Ann, Thank you for the replys. very helpful. Ive emailed the breeder but haven't heard anything back. To be honest I haven't had a reply to any of my "keeping updated" emails or texts since after the first week we had her. So I am not holding my breath for a reply now.

Maggi- thank you for the offer to meet me on 23rd I would love to say however I already have plans that day Sad , hopefully I might spot you at another show in the near future as I am planning on going to a few shows just to watch and see what goes on there.

Ive looked into local ringcraft classes which we will most likely start in January.

Regarding the breed standard - Poella doesn't have a patch, she has dark brown eyes, she has full pigment around her eyes and her nose. The other parts I honestly find it hard to tell Embarassed she just looks 'Dalmatian' to me. She does however have a small piece missing from the end of her ear. I will upload a pic shortly. I didn't give showing a thought until recently so it didn't bother me when I picked her but would this be classed as a fault?
disconumber2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img][/img]
Maggi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about the ear - it is a very minor injury and she shouldn't be penalised for that.
disconumber2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thank you. Do you think the missing part will become more pronounced as she gets bigger?
Maggi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say - what happened to it in the first place?
disconumber2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that one of the other pups played a bit too rough and bit it off
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: