British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Owner of a Dali
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Health Matters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raj_55555

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggi wrote:
I would definitely get the cough seen to sooner rather than later.

I wouldn't take too much notice fo those dog food analysis sites as they are American and promoting their own food (vets do this too!). A good food is one that your dog likes, suitable for his age and breed and that you can afford!!

Jeangenie's food guide is excellent. she's a very experienced dalmatian owner (she'll probably murder me if I say how long she and I have had dalmatians! Laughing) and she works in a vets so knows her stuff.

Make sure you have wormed him with wormer from the vet, not from a pet shops, as it is important for him to be worm free.

I went to the Vets, he asked me whether he had a fish or anything else to eat that could choke him. As everything that we were feeding him was crushed finely I said no. He didn't think it was anything serious and discarded it. I hope he's right! I'll wait it out a couple more days and see what happens. Really worried here! Crying or Very sad

I'm feeding him chicken tonight by simply boiling it into water (didn't add anything else) with rice and the stock of the chicken. I've stocked some peanut butter and eggs too.

And yes he's being De-wormed every week by his vet! I guess I'll try out the Royal canine for once. Let me see if I can get some "Royal Canin Dalmatian Junior"..

To be very honest this forum and it's members are awesome! I've never expected such friendly and helpful environment. Thanks everyone. Smile

P.S. I couldn't find any Jeangenie's food guide by googling, could you please provide the URL?
Maggi

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I meant the diet suggestion she has put in her post. If you pm her I'm sure she'd send you a puppy diet sheet.

Is your pup coughing all the time. At his age he should be able to eat quite lumpy food including hard biscuits and it should not choke him. Fish bones could get caught in his throat though. He does need tio have things to chew on to help with his teething.
raj_55555

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggi wrote:
Sorry I meant the diet suggestion she has put in her post. If you pm her I'm sure she'd send you a puppy diet sheet.

Is your pup coughing all the time. At his age he should be able to eat quite lumpy food including hard biscuits and it should not choke him. Fish bones could get caught in his throat though. He does need tio have things to chew on to help with his teething.

Not all the time, but 3-4 times a day. I've noticed this for a couple of days.
he has his share of chew toys a ball, hard bottle and one of those string attached balls available on ebay. I'm ordering a few more.

I'm not feeding her anything solid yet, even the chicken was shredded before it was given to him yesterday. I guess I'll try to give him a few larger pieces tomorrow.
Jeangenie

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Raj! I've PMed you with the sort of diet sheet I use when rearing my own puppies. Hope it helps!

It's a good idea to weigh your puppy every week so that you can increase the amount you feed him as he grows. I always reckon a gain of roughly 2lb per week is about right. Smile
raj_55555

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeangenie wrote:
Hi Raj! I've PMed you with the sort of diet sheet I use when rearing my own puppies. Hope it helps!

It's a good idea to weigh your puppy every week so that you can increase the amount you feed him as he grows. I always reckon a gain of roughly 2lb per week is about right. Smile

Thanks Jeangenie, you guys are really something! I'll follow your chart religiously Smile

However there has been a rather unpleasant turn of events. It seems the breeder I got Gizmo from is yet another money sucking leech!

He was supposed to provide me the KCI(Kennel club of India) registration papers and Pedigree certificates, I received them yesterday and had a hunch that there's something wrong with the papers. I contacted the KCI officials and they confirmed that the papers were fake! It's just so frustrating, there's no way I can let go of Gizmo now that I've emotionally bonded with him but I don't want to let them go so easily either. I tried my best to find the best and the most reliable breeder, I guess I lacked somewhere.
Jeangenie

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately there are breeders like that the world over, who rely on you having fallen in love with your puppy by the time you realise you've been taken for a ride. Sad If there's nothing your KC or law can do you just have to accept it and love your puppy just the same as before. Good luck!
raj_55555

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeangenie wrote:
Unfortunately there are breeders like that the world over, who rely on you having fallen in love with your puppy by the time you realise you've been taken for a ride. Sad If there's nothing your KC or law can do you just have to accept it and love your puppy just the same as before. Good luck!

Off course! The truth is I really don't care about the papers. I'm worried about him getting sick as he ages due to any genetic failure like hip dysplasia. I'll be more careful!
As far as the breeders are concerned I'll wait another day for the KCI to respond and after that I'll file an FIR at the nearest police station. I won't really pursue it very hard, but that will give them a little shock at least.
Jeangenie

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To help avoid hip problems it's recommended that puppies aren't over-exercised when young; there's a saying that their walks should last no longer than 5 minutes for every month of their age - a three month puppy wouldn't be exercised for more than 15 minutes then allowed plenty of time to rest. Also don't allow him to go up and down flights of stairs, or do lots of jumping, till they're about 10 months old. Genetically bad hips (fortunately quite rare in dalmatians) can't be made better but good ones can be made bad by poor feeding and inappropriate exercise when young.
raj_55555

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeangenie wrote:
To help avoid hip problems it's recommended that puppies aren't over-exercised when young; there's a saying that their walks should last no longer than 5 minutes for every month of their age - a three month puppy wouldn't be exercised for more than 15 minutes then allowed plenty of time to rest. Also don't allow him to go up and down flights of stairs, or do lots of jumping, till they're about 10 months old. Genetically bad hips (fortunately quite rare in dalmatians) can't be made better but good ones can be made bad by poor feeding and inappropriate exercise when young.

Thanks again.. I am guilty of letting him ride up the stairs occasionally; I will put a stop to it.
Anne Gurnsey

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes stairs are the thing I really avoid. I have two steps in the garden and I even put up a barrier so puppies can't get to them until they are quite big.

Unless you planned to show Gizmo the papers aren't really important , he looks a nice happy dalmatian puppy. Of course you don't want to upset his digestion by giving him a big change of diet all at but he should be able to eat solid food with no problem. My youngster was given a raw chicken wing at the age of around 5 weeks and she loved it, hid in the bushes and gnawed away , making sure none of her brothers or sisters could get it!!!

Good luck
raj_55555

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne Gurnsey wrote:
Yes stairs are the thing I really avoid. I have two steps in the garden and I even put up a barrier so puppies can't get to them until they are quite big.

Unless you planned to show Gizmo the papers aren't really important , he looks a nice happy dalmatian puppy. Of course you don't want to upset his digestion by giving him a big change of diet all at but he should be able to eat solid food with no problem. My youngster was given a raw chicken wing at the age of around 5 weeks and she loved it, hid in the bushes and gnawed away , making sure none of her brothers or sisters could get it!!!
Good luck

Thanks Anne Smile
I read that cooked bones can choke the puppy, but I didn't understand why raw bones don't have the same issue? Anyways I will start to feed him puppys kibble from this weekend, he's been deprived of many key nutrients this far.
Tim Lockett

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooked bones shatter with sharp shards when crushed by the dogs biting. The sharp shards can cut the mouth or more seriously stick in the throat. Sad
raj_55555

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Lockett wrote:
Cooked bones shatter with sharp shards when crushed by the dogs biting. The sharp shards can cut the mouth or more seriously stick in the throat. Sad

Got it! Big no to cooked bones, raw bones are fine. Smile
raj_55555

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After searching frantically for the past couple of days I've finally found the only distributor of taste of the wild food.I think I'll go with it, at least during the growing phase (first 4 months) and then switch to Royal canin. It will cost me around 60$ for 15lbs bag.

Pacific Stream(Protein: 25% Minimum, Fat: 15%) and Wetlands (Protein: 32% Minimum, Fat: 18% ) are the only two formulaes available, I think Pacific stream will be a good one . Gurus, please comment ! Very Happy

Pacific Stream:
    Salmon, ocean fish meal, sweet potatoes, potatoes, canola oil, salmon meal, smoked salmon, potato fiber, natural flavor, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Wetlands
    Duck, duck meal, chicken meal, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), egg product, potato protein, natural flavor, ocean fish meal, roasted quail, roasted duck, smoked turkey, tomato pomace, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product,dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

____EDIT___
Thanks all guys, I've got the Pacific Stream. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Health Matters All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: