British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New/Old dalamation owner..advice/experiences needed please?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beenznham

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: New/Old dalamation owner..advice/experiences needed please?! Reply with quote

Hi folks, I have recently taken ownership of a lovely 3 year old dalmation named Forest. His previous owner (a friend) tells me that he has suffered from hyperuricemia (stone forming) and has been on Allopurinol meds which helped him to stabilise. He has been so for a while, and it now seems to be under control with a relative low purine diet of orginal chappie/royal canin dal 22 and a bit of hemp powder. However I have had advice that tripe e.t.c. is a much better natural diet (BARF) for him, which makes sense...but I see tripe is high in purines?! Does anyone have advice or experience on this issue of feeding their dogs a raw/BARF diet that has perivously been predisposed to forming stones (hyperuricemia) please?

Your message would be greatly appreciated and well received!!!

Happy Easter folks Smile Phil

p.s I have had a dalamtion before until I was seven but I don't remember his diet funny enough....don't think he suffered from hyperuricemia though.
Spotalot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil and Forest and welcome.

Sorry I can't advise on the Barf, but someone will be along who can.
beenznham

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou Carol Dylan and Daisy, I hope so.
KissCass

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil and Forrest

Welcome to the Forum..There are many BARF users on here so I'm sure you will get some help. I have a stone former too, I use RC 22 and he is fine. There is a list of purines in food under the health bit of the website, but my understanding is that high purine food will be unaltered by cooking and should not be fed at all. Hopefully Jeangenie will read this as she has a stone former and knows about BARF.

Good luck and maybe some pics of Forrest....?
beenznham

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no replys from any BARF/raw food owners Sad Anyway I was thinking of feeding him some chicken fillets from super market, organic (reduced section lol) and wondered if anyone new if it was better to give to him raw or cooked please?[/b]
Maggi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry no experience of stone formers (try sending a pm to jeangenie as she has). I think raw chicken is better than cooked. Would suggest you vgive chicken wings or thighs. These are cheaperthan chicken breasts and provide bone and roughage as well as protein. You could also feed cooked white fish, rice and pasta. Try asking your questions in the Health section of the forum as more people may pick it up.

Oh ans sorry - welcome to you and youir spot Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: