British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Am I a vet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dalamanti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Am I a vet? Reply with quote

I am having a moan hope nobody minds.

I am currently getting constant phone calls from the same person asking for advice about her bitch, GSD not Dalmatian. Now the breed bit I don't mind, but she has found me somewhere as a dog breeder from directory enquiries and is searching for that instead of speaking to her vet, or searching for vets. Why is this I wonder?

The first call I had was a couple months ago, saying she her bitch has possibly been mated but how does she know for sure? I asked did they tie etc etc and had a 30 minute conversation with her about it, apparently the stud owner was also clueless so a very bad combination. So anyway I gave her a few tips to keep an eye on her etc but it seemed they did tie so yet she could be pregnant but any worries about her behaviour speak to your vet.
So a couple weeks ago I get a call again saying she thinks she's pregnant and she has gone off her food what can I do? Again I said due to lack of space etc she can't eat as much, but any worries speak to your vet. I told her I am not the best judge of her dog especially for different a breed but the vet can advise better than I can at least.
Then yesterday when I was home for my lunch she rings me again saying her bitch might have gone into labour how does she know? Okay as I said I don't mind helping people but she is clearly completely clueless and really needs to be speaking to her vet rather than calling up random people who she has no idea how qualified etc they are to give advice. Anyway as politely as I could I said you need to get advice from a vet as that is what they are there for. I don't want to be rude and certainly I help as best as I can based on my own experience but how can I be clearer that I am not a vet and the breed I deal with is very different to her breed.
I am actually annoyed the stud owner has completely left her to it and she has done no research whatsoever before deciding to breed from her bitch in the first place, as it was clearly a planned breeding. No doubt I will be getting a call from her asking about weaning the puppies etc too, and I'll probably be asked about how she can sell them too! Help!!
I wonder how many other people she has called as she clearly likes to call me her advice line!
Born to be owned by spotties.
Alnwick, Northumberland.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spotalot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Shocked

Arrg poor you.

It's very worrying to think these sort of people are able to breed dogs at all isn't it.
I think too many people think It's a good quick way to make some money Shocked

Maybe you could start a link stating the opposite is true and that it's hard work and needs careful planning.

That wasn't very helpful was it Laughing Now I'm asking you to be an advice and education line Rolling Eyes Embarassed
Sorry Laughing
Dalamanti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Yes it is worrying that these sort of people are allowed to breed, especially when they have no idea of the costs involved, which normally outweighs what you get back from selling the puppies anyway. Sadly I think the stud dog owner was of the same opinion, quick buck and no responsibility. Sadly this is why the dog world gets a bad name!

Not a bad idea about putting a link up stating the opposite. I do put on my site the work involved about buying a Dalmatian, trying to rid timewasters when I breed, but perhaps if I put something up about breeding costs etc it might save time with telephone calls! I am not an expert though and don't advertise myself as such, so I have no idea why she keeps phoning me!
Alnwick, Northumberland.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spotalot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you have a lot more idea than most of us, so from an educational point it would be good if you have the time.

I have no intention of ever breeding and probably have a lot more idea than most but even I found it confusing when I was looking for Daisy that the pups advertised on some sites range from 250 -600 and knew better than to go for the cheapest and to go for an accredited breeder, but anyone just browsing and thinking of getting their first dog may think about it, especially if money is tight.
And on that note I wish people would research how much a dog will cost them over their life span in terms of Vet fees , food and insurance.
It may make them think twice and save some ending up in rescue.
Maggi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another problem. I've spent hours telling people how to buy a puppy, found a nice puppy for them etc BUT the puppy will not be ready for several weeks. So, what do they do, go and buy one from a puppy farm!! Just because they can't wait a couple of weeks. Then it's ill - they are on the phone to me. No feeding advice, not wormed, obviously not tested for anything, no vaccinations, so who do they ask ME. Like Lisa I'm not a vet or a free advice line.

I do so sympathise - you care about dogs so you help a bit, but some folk just take the mick!
Dalamanti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Maggi I completely agree. You spend so much time giving them advice, then they don't take it and call you because there is a problem later on. Doesn't make sense yet so many do it! As you said because we care we offer the advice we can, but there is only so much we can offer before getting too involved or becoming a 'free advice service' for those who won't pay to go to a vet or get a properly bred dog.
Alnwick, Northumberland.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: