British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello from the Midlands!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LucieMids

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Hello from the Midlands! Reply with quote

Hi everyone, just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself! I'm Lucie and my partner, Leigh and I are hoping to buy a Dalmatian puppy in the next couple of months. We live in Solihull in the West Midlands with Leigh's family and we're all big dog lovers, having had everything from Chihuahuas to Alsatians! Luckily we all work from home, so there is always someone about...the ideal situation for looking after a Dalmatian! Hopefully you all might be able to help point us in the right direction regarding breeders and any other do's and don'ts!

Thanks, Lucie
Dalregis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: New user in the Midlands Reply with quote

Lucy,
Welcome to the unique world of Dalmatians Exclamation
If you are looking for a puppy the first port of call should be the puppy list which is elsewhere on this site. Puppies advertised here are bred by Club members who abide by the Clubs code of conduct.
Our secretary will be able to refer you to the District Rep in your area who is a person experienced in Dalmatians and always willing to help out with advice.
Can I suggest that you make a date in your diary for the BDC Open Show which is being held at the Cricket Connexion ( Ryton upon Dunsmore) on May 6th.? Also, you will be able to meet lots of Dalmatian folks at Crufts ( NEC Saturday March 11th - Hall 1)
This forum is an excellent meeting place for exchange of ideas and lots of information.
Pat Wilson
LucieMids

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much, i've had a look on the puppy list, but unfortunately there are none on the list from the midlands. I was wondering if you would be able to recommend someone that has had pups or is waiting for the joyous event, in the midland area? We don't mind traveling but it would be nice to have a local pup if possible.

Thanks Lucie x
marianda24

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lucie

Welcome to the world of dalmatians.

We live in the Midlands but had to tavel out of the area to get the puppy we wanted. Our Phoebe is 18 weeks old and came from Wiltshire.

We travelled there on 3 consecutive weekends to see our baby but it was worth every minute and every mile as she is a beauty and exactly what we wanted.

Obviously it is nice to use a local breeder but dont be afraid to shop around for the puppy that suits you and your family
LucieMids

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might sound a silly question, but how did you come across your breeder as I seem to be looking in all the wrong places. I seem to be able to find puppies in Scotland and Ireland but none any closer. Would you be able to point me in the right direction:?:
We have never had a Dalamtian as I've said, but it is great that we have found this site as there are so many of my questions being answered, by just reading other posts.

Lucie x
Dexter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lucie,
I too am new to Dalmations and have found this forum great for getting advise and tips.

What I did when i felt i had done enough research into the breed and was ready for my own dalmation was to search through the many owners web sites, you will see them listed under club info and then links. I looked at them all. You get a good feel for the breeders and their dogs. They usually tell you a bit about their background within the breed, what they have achieved and also have lots of pictures and more advice on dalmations.

After getting a good feel for a few and seeing pictures of their gorgeous dogs i emailed some to ask a bit more about them and to see wether they had any litters planned and to tell them about myself to see wether they thought me and my situation would be suitable. The websites will usually have an email address or contact details for getting in touch.

After my research and chats with them, i found a breeder who i new was right for me and i must say she has been excellent from keeping me updated on the progression of the mothers pregnancy and updates of the pups growth to answering any questions i may have promptly and still to this day is on hand to answer any questions and give me help and regularly checks in to see how we are getting on which is really great as it shows they care about the pups and want to make sure they are getting the best care even when they have left them and are growing up.

I agree you may not find the right breeders for you on your doorstep. If you are gonna do it and be a dally owner then its worth doing it right and if it means travelling a distance then it will probably be worth it, it was in my case.

It took me almost a year from doing all my research to finding my breeder and waiting for his arrival and then waiting to bring him home but it was all worth it and im sure it will be for you too.

Good luck in finding your perfect bundle of spots
Jess x
marianda24

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat has already suggested looking at the puppy list which is located under "ownership" within this site and having just looked myself there are several litters mentioned.

You may find, however that a lot of the puppies have been reserved even before they are born as i believe some breeders have a waiting list. You will obviously need to speak to the breeders who from my experience with Phoebe will more than happy to chat about their pups.

I think you may be surprised at how enthusiastic and if you pardon the expression folks, obsessed most of the breeders are about their dogs and pups. I found this to be a heart warming experience and I know that whatever problem or worry I may have with Phoebe I can contact her breeder and get the best advice from the person who knows her as well as I do.

As Dexter says it may take a long time to find your puppy but it will be worth it I'm sure.

All the very best in your search
Lucadal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lucie

You must be soooo excited looking for you pup, it's just so hard to wait Laughing .

However I have to agree with the posts to date, it is really important that you have a really good look around at some of the breeders sites and if you can e-mail or ring to have a chat to a few, better still try to arrange to visit some. It will give you a chance to meet some of their lovely dogs 'up close', it's really surprising how different some of the breed lines are.

Also if you have the chance pop along to a couple of dog shows, this will give you the opportunity to see many Dalmatians and also you will be able to compare the characteristics of the different lines. It is really interesting to see so many Dalmatians in one place and how they can vary. It would be worth going to a Championship Show (future one's listed on this web site or can be found on the Dalmatian Telegraph site), or a Dalmatian Breed Club Show where many Dalmatians are likely to attend. People are generally really friendly and only too happy to chat about their dogs. It is worth waiting though till they have finished showing other wise they may be a little preoccupied Shocked !

It is also true that many litters are reserved even before they are born and many breeders do have waiting list for their pups. However it really is worth waiting to find just the right pup for you, although it can be really hard to do, it is so worth it in the end. Very Happy Very Happy

Good Luck in your search,

Sara.
LucieMids

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like to say a huge thank you to everyone for their help. I have been very forunate to find my perfect puppy, I went to see her last night and fell in love with her straight away. She's 15 weeks old, black spots and has the exact personality we were looking for, she is just perfect. We are going to pick her up tonight and i can't wait. I will have to post some pic's of her. We have decided to call her Purdie and it suits her down to the ground. We are off to buy her all her home comforts and more Very Happy . I am really looking forward to meeting you all and your Dallies. When do tou all think is the best time to get her insured? Should i do it as soon as possible?

A bit of history for you about her...as i've already said she's 15 weeks old black spots, with a patch on her ear. She is so energetic its wonderfull. She was sold but the person kept messing her around(not so good for Purdie, but very good for me), and then Lisa didn't want to sell her before Christmas (Christmas presents and all of that) and i'm so lucky that she has been looked after so well, as she has been staying with her aunty Lucy, and the best thing is her owners only live ten minutes away, so we are going to keep in touch. She is KC registered and mirco-chipped already, i've registed her at our local vet that we used for our last dog, we found they were fantastic.
I am so greatfull for all your help and a huge THANK YOU to Pat and Lisa Very Happy

Thank you,
Lucie x
Lucadal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on finding your pup, may we wish you loads of fun together Laughing !

You ask about insurance, some times pups are sold with a few weeks insurance however as your new baby is a little older this may not apply in this case. I would therefore get her insured as soon as possible, there are many companies offering good cover just make sure you read all the in's and out's of each policy carefully. It may be worth asking your vet if they find one insurance company is better at settling up than another, because in times of crisis Embarassed you don't want to have to worry about your insurers messing around when it comes to paying out!

Good Luck to you all and let us know how things are progressing.

Sara.
Caldecacre

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Insurance Reply with quote

Hiya,
You will find that along with her KC registration forms there will be a number to call to activate 6 weeks free insurance with their health care plan. This will at least give you time to have a look properly through different companies and compare, and also look into their own policy.
We use Petplan and give this with the puppies when they leave us, but I do know other people who use different companies and are very happy.
The one thing I would say is to always read the smallprint. Some companies will only insure a condition for a period of 12 months, whereas others will insure for life.
Good luck with your new spotty bundle, hope you have lots of fun together,

Louise xx
www.caldecacre.co.uk
LucieMids

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this is Purdie!

Thanks again to everyone that posted and Pm'd with all your help, it was really appreciated! We hope to see you all sometime at the meets and shows!

Lucie x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> New Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: