British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jumping up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> How to join and use the forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Jumping up Reply with quote

Hi
Please could somebody give me some advice about my beautiful but naughty Dalmation's jumping up.She is 10 months old and is such a handful,she constantly jumps up people and the kitchen worktop,if she goes into the garden within minutes she is jumping up at the patio doors to come in.We've tried lots of things to stop her including ignoring her,turning our backs on her,shaking stones in a bottle and even an airhorn(which probably terrified the neighbours but didn't faze her at all!)She's walked 3 times a day,I say walked but really it's her walking us,she tugs all the way.My husband is very ill and she is really making our lifes a total misery.It's fast comming to the point of needing to rehome her as we are so desperate.Althoughit would break our hearts to part with her.
Many thanks Jayne.
Maggi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jayne - sorry to hear about your husband, it is difficult trying to teach a puppy when you are already stressed.

To stop her jumping on people you need to make not jumping more rewarding. So you need to put her on a lead (yes even indoors when supervised) and when someone approaches her get her to sit. Ask the other person not to speak to her or touch her until she is in the sitting position. When she sits get the other person to reward her with a pat or a biscuit. If she likes toys you can let her carry a toy as a dog can't jump up easily with something in its mouth. You need to carry out the above exercise every time she meets someone - she should not be allowed to the door off lead until she automatically sits when some one arrives. If she jumps up at you tell her 'off' fiercely and turn away - do not touch her or otherwise engage with her.

It sounds as though you are exhausted and as though she could do with more exercise. Can I suggest that you try to get someone to help you through this difficult time. You can contact Dalmatian Welfare with a view just to getting help, not necessarily re-homing her. Perhaps someone could help you exercise and train her - Welfare may be able to suggest someone local to you or if you give your location perhaps some kind soul on here could help. She really needs training classes, but I appreciate with your husband's illness that may not be a viable option right at the moment. Have you spoken to her breeder who may be able to help or put you in touch with someone who can.

I hope that maybe others will come along with suggestions and I wish you luck.
Nicki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jayne sorry you are haveing a hard time at them mo.

Our Holly was a real handfull when we got her at 8months old. I agree with Maggie suggestions it is hard work at that age but they do come through it. Does she get off the lead on her walks that may help her burn off some energy xxx

Banjoliers PA & Faithful Follower
Nicki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought but what food are you giving her at the mo? x

Banjoliers PA & Faithful Follower
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> How to join and use the forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: