British Dalmatian Club Forum Index British Dalmatian Club
British Dalmatian Club Forum

AlbumAlbum    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goats milk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Health Matters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anne Gurnsey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Goats milk Reply with quote

My puppy Skye, now aged 15 weeks has had goats milk since she was weaned and although she doesn't like milky foods like rice pudding is a keen milk drinker and has some after each meal.

My adults have always had cows milk after their food, diluted for my male to ensure he drinks a lot. I just can't remember when I changed them across. Confused Advice please. thanks
Maggi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally let mine have diluted milk after 6 months Anne. I remember cos I give it to them when they go to shows etc as they often won't drink strange water and I want them to drink.. Even a little splash of milk means they drink the lot.

I don't give my little puppies milk at all as I'm fairly convinced that ther is a link with puppies having milk and dally rash. After all milk is a totally unnatural food for a dog. Human babies fed cows milk often develop exzema, so I lay off it until they are a bitr bigger and then its only on days out or as a treat.
bryedal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Goats milk Reply with quote

My litters always used to have Goats milk Maggie. Fresh from our own goats when we kept them, then either frozen, dried, or UHT when we moved here.
We also used to sell it to other breeders for their litters.
Human babies are often unable to digest cows milk, but are ok with Goats.
It is often used by people who have excema too. We also knew a Goatkeeper who used to make a cream for excema sufferers that used to ease their skin problems.
Liz
Jeangenie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine have never had goat's milk - if they have milk other than from their mum it's the same cow's milk that we drink ourselves, and I've only ever had one that had dally rash (show season only - typical!).
Anne Gurnsey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all, touch wood none of mine have ever had dally rash. I'll carry on until she is six months old. Anne
Nicki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banjo had goats milk untill he was 6 months old he loved it Very Happy

Banjoliers PA & Faithful Follower
fred22

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all ours love goats milk but we dont buy it very often. In summer we froze some in ice cube trays and they had it like lollies yum yum
Deovolante

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne, I have used Goats milk forever, my dogs old and young have it every day diluted with a little water.
Best thing is to find someone who has goats as they usually then freeze it down and mark it suitable for animals (they need to have all sorts of special licence these days for human use). I buy it 30/40 pints a time for 30pence a pint, goes in the freezer and then taken out as and when needed.
My dogs love it and if we ever run out can be quite snooty about cows milk!
Chris
Dalamanti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Goat's Milk Reply with quote

I have used Goat's milk on my litter of puppies when weaning them and they loved it. It didn't take them long to wean off their mum then. I used it on Chelsea when I brought her home from her breeder at 7 1/2 weeks old too.

A few years ago we took in a 3/4 week old kitten who's mother abandoned her and I reared her on goat's milk too and she did really well on it. I think it has the extra goodness that cow's milk doesn't seem to have.

The good thing is it is available in most supermarkets now too whereas it never used to be that common.
Born to be owned by spotties.
Alnwick, Northumberland.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Anne Gurnsey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all, we have always used it for our youngsters after they are weaned. I was told it was nearer to their motehrs milk and less likely to cause allergies. I, like Chris used to buy it from a local farm that kept goats but they have gone now so I buy it from Sainsburys ( not at 30p per pint though). I shall carry on for a couple of months at any rate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    British Dalmatian Club Forum Index -> Health Matters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: